Vol. 2. Forward
Volume 2 of our FEATHERSTON FINDINGS booklets has now been completed. I am
very grateful to those who responded to volume 1 with their complimentary
remarks. They have helped to engourage the continuance of this series.
Recently, we had the opportunity of attending a Featherston cousin’s family
reunion. This was my first meeting with other Featherstons with the exception
of my immediate family. It was fantastic and a great time was had by all.
If you have a Featherston family reunion scheduled next year and would like to
notify others through these pages, please send us your information as soon as
If you have not yet sent in your Featherston research material, please do so.
Perhaps you have just the item that others have been searching for. Do not
be concerned that we may already have that information as it is much better to
have duplications, than not to have it at all.
Also, please search your local newspapers for obituaries or other items with
reference to our surname. Perhaps, these will be of help to others now or in
years to come.
There is no charge for submitting any information for publication in this
series. A few individuals have sent in their branches, but many others have
not. If you are one of those who have not, let me encourage you to do so. We
can only be of help to each other by sharing.
Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year!
Vol. 2. Index
TABLE OF CONTENTS VOLUME 2
1860 Amelia County, Virginia Federal Census 8
1860 Appomattox County, Virginia Federal Census 8
1870 Buncombe County, North Carolina Federal Census 8
1870 Forsyth County. North Carolina Federal Census 8
Scott County, Arkansas Deeds 9
Oklahoma Cemetery Records 11
Randolph County, Missouri Administration and Will Records 1836-1858 12
Marriage, Death and Legal Notices From Early Alabama Newspapers 1819-1893 12
Index to Court Records 1874-1931 – Ripley County, Missouri 12
Notes From Our Readers 13
Branches 1, 2, 5, and 6 14
Every Name Index
Vol. 2. Page 1
The name, Featherston, with its variants of Fetherstanhalg, Fetherstanhishalu, Fetherstan, Feo er(e)-stan, Ferdestan, Federestan, Fredestan, Ferestane, Fedrestana, etc., comes from the Old English feperstan, ‘a tetralith’, i.e. a cromleah, which consists of three upright stones and a head-stone. The Old English fe(o)-,o er-, fi/?er. ‘four’, occurs in several compounds, such as -fete. ‘Four-footed’, -rfca, ‘tetrach’.(1) But for its coat-of-arms the family seems to have gone back to the Anglo-Saxon fe^’er, ‘feather’: gules on a chevron between three ostrich feathers argent a pellet; for crest, an antelope’s head erased argent armed or; for supporters, two ostriches.(2)
There are three places in England that bear the family name. The first is the township of Featherston in the parish of Haltwhistle, Western Division of Tindale ward, county of Northumberland. Featherston castle, which was
repaired and enlarged by its owner in the early years of the nineteenth century, was from an early period the seat of the Featherstonehaigh family.
One of its illustrious members was Timothy, who raised a troop of horse for the king during the civil war, and was knighted under the royal banner at Whitehall. He was taken prisoner at the battle of Worcester, in 1651, and was
afterwards beheaded and his estate sold by parliament to the earl of Carlisle.
There is also the chapelry of Featherstone in that part of the parish of Wolverhampton which is in the Eastern Division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, county of Stafford. It is mentioned by Dugdale under the year 996, and in
Domesday. The third place is Featherstone (All Saints), a parish partly in the Lower Division of the wapentake of Agbrigg and partly in the Upper Division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding of the county of York.
It includes the township of that name, 3 1/2 miles west of Pontefract. It too is mentioned in Domesday.(3)
The name, Featherston, seems to belong to Yorkshire, while Featherstonhaigh is identified with Northumberland, but members of the Northumberland group held land in Yorkshire as well. The family is of Saxon origin and was seated at Featherston after the Conquest. That part of the country had been allotted to their ancestor, a Saxon officer, for his gallantry against the Britons. They had large possessions and bore honourable offices in the county of Northumberland. They were sheriffs, deputy-lieutenants, etc., and are registered in the reign of Stephen as gentlemen of coat-armour resident at Fetherstonhaugh Castle. Various deeds and writings show that for some centuries they held several manors and estates near the castle, the castle was held by the family as a member of the barony of Tyndale in the reign of Edward I, and they continued to possess it until the time of Elizabeth. The story is told that their house was formerly situated upon a hill where there were two large stones. Courts of manors were formerly held in the open air, and the place was distinguished by a large stone used by the steward as a table where homage was taken and accounts rendered. It seems probable that the stones in question were used for such purposes and were called feuder- or fether-stones. Where the feudal tenants of the manor were assembled. After the ruin of the moat constructed for defence against the Scots, the family rebuilt the castle in the holme. or valley, under the hill, which in Northumberland is called cont…
Vol. 2. Page 2
haugh — whence Fetherstonhaugh. The family wrote their names ‘de Fetherston’ and sometimes ‘de Fetherstonhaugh’. In the course of time the family has been subdivided into a number of branches, particularly two, of Fetherstonhaugh, and Fetherstonhalge. Tradition has it that an Albany Fetherston married two wives and had a son by each. The elder son inherited the Northumberland estate. The younger son, whose mother was an heiress of a considerable estate in and near Stanhope (Co. Durham), inherited his mother’s property. The elder son then added -haugh to his name. and the younger, -halge to his, to preserve a distinction between the two families and their descendants. It should also be noted — and this is not tradition — that the descendants of William de Monte, who flourished in the reign of Stephen and lived at Stanhope, took the name of Fetherstonhalge by royal licence in 48 Edward III.(4)
Featherston of Yorkshire
In the twelfth year of the reign of Henry II (1165-6) WILLIAM de Featherston owed a mark, as recorded in pleas before the justices de Lucy. In 33 Henry II he is listed as a fugitive whose chattels were worth 19 s. 3 d.(5) ROBERT was party in a case before the same justices against one Rannulphus de Wichala in 1191. He is afterwards listed in every year from 1192 through 1198 as a defaulter owing 3s. 4d.(6) Such inauspicious beginnings were not improved by the next member of the family who appears in the records. On 14 January 1244 the sheriff of York received an order to inquire into the holdings of RALPH de Fetherston, deceased. The inquest showed that ‘Olive, his daughter, aged 16 1/2 , is understood to be his heir. because he kept a certain woman named Emma for ten years before he married her. and begot of her RICHARD his son, and after their marriage he begot of her the said Olive’. Ralph held in the parish of Fetherston thirty acres of land, a messuage, five acres of meadow, and pasture in demesne, two and three-quarters bovates in villeinage, 49s. 3 l/2d. in rents from freemen, and a pound of pepper and two pounds of cummin. In Chevet town he had a mark of rent of assize, and in Stubbes. 3d.(7) The king granted one Hamo, son of Philip, the hand of Olive, Ralph’s heir, on 2 May 1244. (8) In 1260 Roger of Doncaster plead in court that ‘terram MAURICI de Fetherstan’ eidem Maurico replegiari’. The land had been seized because of Maurice’s default before the justices of the King’s Bench.(9) Nine years later brother WILLIAM de Featherston was one of the executors of the will of Gervase, the wife of Thomas Ie Ragged, and paid half a mark to bring the will into court before the itinerant justices sitting at Newcastle-upon-Tyne.(10)
On 26 June 1289 ROBERT de Featherston acknowledged a debt of 20s. to Stephen de Houdene.(ll) Robert had two sons, JOHN and RICHARD. On 10 August 1328 John received a pardon for his outlawry in Yorkshire for not appearing before Edward II’s courts to answer a plea of trespass at the suit of Robert de Went. (12) On 13 July 1340 John came into the chancery at London and acknowledged a charter he had given to John and Nicholas de Sancto Paulo. He granted them a messuage, five acres of land and lid. rent in Benteley (Co. Yorks.) with all other lands be held in the town and with all the services of Robert, son of Robert de Ouston, and of Constance Edryk.(13) On 22 June 1333 cont…
Vol. 2. Page 3
Richard, the other son of Robert, acknowledged that he owed L16. to the master and brethren of the hospital of St. Leonard, York.(14) At about the same time a HENRY de Featherston was doing good service with the English army invading Scotland. On that account he was pardoned, 22 November 1310, at the instance of the earl of Cornwall for the death of Richard de Baghille.(15) In 1337 a SIMON was a mainpernor for Edmund de Sutton.(16)
Featherstonhaigh of Northumberland
The beginnings of the Featherstonhalgh family were equally shady. In 1204
I. ELIAS was being prosecuted for breaking the king’s peace by robbery, and declined to attend the summons to court. (17) In the same year HUGH (his brother?) had a case in court.(18) A century or more passes before another name of this family appears. By that time its position was on the right side of the law and its members were royal officials. Six persons appear almost at once in the records and five of them, Thomas, Alexander, Peter, William, and Richard, were brothers. Their father was:
II. Thomas, who flourished in 1255/6 and died before 1312. He married Mariota, who was still living in 1336. Thomas, their eldest son, is first mentioned in 1312 and had died before 1342; had had a son, Thomas. Alexander comes to light in 1323 and was still alive forty years later. William appears only once, in 1323, Peter from 1329 to 1334, and Richard from 1338 to 1343.
III. THOMAS first served as a purchasing agent of Edward II. On 21 April 1312 he was commissioned to buy in Northumberland 392 quarters of wheat and 420 quarters of malt. The victuals were for the use of the king during his stay at Newcastle-upon-Tyne. (19) On 15 September 1320 Thomas was in the chancery at Westminster witnessing the enrolment of a deed.(20) Two years later he stood as surety for Robert de Angerton, of Newcastle, who was sending ships south for corn. He undertook to see that Robert wuld not convey the corn to places other than York and Newcastle and that he would not communicate with the Scots or Flemish.(21) Thomas’s services were rewarded by a grant from the king on 30 July 1323. He and his brother Alexander, received the land in Sedbergh in Lonsdale (co. Yorks.) forfeited by the rebel, Andrew de Harcla.(22) Writs were addressed to Thomas in 1324 and 1326-8 as keeper of the king’s peels of Highhead (co. Cumberland) and Staworth (co. Northumberland). Thomas also had the keeping for life of the peel of Wark in Tyndale (co. Northumberland). He accounted for those lands to the wardrobe, which had temporarily replaced the exchequer as the real controller of finance.(23) In 1326 he had been appointed ‘to array all the fencible men of the liberties of Hexham (co. Northumberland), Ward in Tyndale. the barony of Tyndale and the moor of Alderston, to assess them to arms and lead them at the king’s will or elsewhere as shall seem to be the same Thomas to be most to the king’s advantage, with power to punish any found rebellious in this behalf’.(24) Two years later he restored to the abbot of Jedburgh (co. Roxburgh) out of his custody the lands and possessions which had been seized by Edward II because of the war against Scotland.(25) Thomas also served on inquisitions post mortem in 1328 and 1329.(26) At his death, c. 1342, his grant of de Harcla’s lands in Yorkshire passed to Richard de Kardoill.(27) cont…
Vol. 2. Page 4
IV. THOMAS the younger was commissioned with his father in 1328 to cause the truce with Scotland to be observed in Northumberland and the marches.(28) In 1329, together with his uncle, Peter, he received a general pardon from the king for aid ‘in the late rebellion’, and in 1331 he went with Anthony de Lucy to Ireland.(29) Thomas married Margaret, who was living in 1374, and died without heirs.
This line continued through his uncle.
III. ALEXANDER, who died c. 1365. In 1323 Alexander and his brother.
III. WILLIAM, received for life the lands of the rebel de Harcla. which had been originally given to Alexander and his brother, Thomas.(30) Eight years later the king appointed Alexander to the custody of Limerick Castle, in Ireland, and to the office of constable of Dublin Castle.(31) In 1332 Alexander drew wages for a mission from Ireland to England. The justiciar of Ireland, Anthony de Lucy, and the chancellor and treasurer there had sent him to report to the king on the state of the country.(32) In 1347 Alexander was back in England and serving on a commission to inquire into the devastation by the Scots of the de Lucy lands in Northumberland.(33) Several writs were addressed to him as collector of customs in 1352-4, 1356, 1358 to levy a fifteenth and tenth and 40s. knight’s fee in the same county.(34) By 1355 his services to the crown gained him exemption from being put on assizes, juries, or recognitions, and from appointment as mayor, sheriff, eschaetor, coroner, bailiff, or other minister of the king without his consent.(35) Alexander held of the de Lucy family in Northumberland the manor of Featherstonhaigh by homage and service of 20s. 7d. yearly, and by suit of the court of Langley.(36)
III. PETER, Alexander’s brother, held of the same family a moiety of the manor of(3) Whitwham by 2d. to cornage, and 3s. 4d. to free ferm. The manor descended to Peter’s son,
IV. THOMAS, and was held freely by him by homage and service of 3s. 4d. yearly, and(4) by suit of court.(37)
III. RICHARD, fifth son of Thomas and Mariota, was a merchant who lent money to the king.(38) There remain two persons whose places in the family pedigree are not clear. One is JOHN, who died in 1322 served as mainpernor for Sir Walter de Kirkebride.(39) He is perhaps the same John who in 1360 received a pardon as a follower of Henry of Lancaster.(40) The other is ROBERT, who was ordered to collect a clerical subsidy in Durham in 1372.(41) These notes, based on the printed sources, follow the history of the family to the accession of Richard II (1377). The pedigree after that date, complete in some lines to the nineteenth century, is shown in the accompanying tables. cont…
Vol. 2. Page 5
(1) E. Eilert, Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names, p. 168.
(2) J. Burke, General Armory.
(3) S. Lewis, Topigraphical Dictionay of England, vol.ii.
(4) W. Hutchinson, History of the County of Cumberland, (Carlisle, 1794), i.207; W. Betham, The Baronetage of England (London, 1.03), iii. 242.
(5) Pipe 12 Hen II. p. 47; Pipe 33 Hen II. p. 152.
(6) Pipe 304 Rich I. pp. 6, 217, 235; Pipe 5 Rich. I. p. 40; Pipe 6 Rich I. p. 106; Pipe 7 Rich I. p. 154; Pipe 8 Rich I. p. 233; Pipe 9 Rich I, p. 96; Pipe 10 Rich I. p. 47.
(7) C.I.P.M., i. 8; cf. Calendarium Genealogium, i. 5.
(8) C.P.R. (1232-47), p. 424.
(9) C.C.R. (1259-61), p. 211.
(10) Excerpta e totulis finium, ii. 490.
(11) C.C.R. (1288-96). p. 48.
(12) C.P.R. (1327-30), p. 313.
(13) C.C.R. (1339-41), pp. 488-9.
(14) Ibid. (1333-7), p. 119.
(15) C.P.R. (1307-13), p. 356.
(16) C.F.R. (1337-47), p. 34.
(17) Curia Regis Rolls (5-7 John), p. 128.
(18) Ibid.. p. 164.
(19) C.P.R. (1307-13), p. 456.
(20) C.C.R. (1318-23), p. 328.
(21) C.P.R. (1321-4), p. 80.
(22) C.C.W.. I. 540.
(23) C.C.R. (1323-7), p. 82; C.F.R. (1319-27), p. 168; C.P.R. (1324-7). p. 261; C.F.R. (1327-37), pp. 12, 63, 64; C.C.R. (1327-30), pp. 160. 336, 385, 427.
(24) C.P.R. (1324-7), p. 260.
(25) C.C.R. (1327-30), p. 337.
(26) Ibid., pp. 482, 548, 582; ibid. (1330-3), p. 122; C.F.R. (1327-37). p. 128.
(27) C.P.R. (1340-3), p. 511.
(28) Ibid. (1327-30), p. 227.
(29) Ibid., p. 275; ibid. (1330-4), p. 105.
(30) Ibid. (1321-4), p. 329.
(31) Ibid. (1330-4), pp. 83, 85.
(32) C.C.R. (1330-3). p. 453.
(33) C.P.R. (1345-8), p. 302.
(34) C.F.R. (1347-56), pp. 335, 376, 415; ibid. (1356-69). pp. 13, 78.
(35) C.P.R. (1354-8), p. 245.
(36) C.I.P.M.. Xii. 17, 208, 361.
(37) C.C.R. (1343-6). p. 260; C.I.P.M.. xii. 17, 208, 361.
(38) C.C.R. (1337-9), p. 432; ibid. (1343-6), p. 151.
(39) C.F.R. (1319-27), p. 168.
(40) C.P.R. (1358-61), p. 382.
(41) C.F.R. (1369-77), p. 181.
Vol. 2. Page 6
[Based on Hodgson, History of Northumberland (Newcastle, 1840), part ii, vol. iii, pp. 353-9]
1. Elias [tempus John] m.
II Thomas [fl. 40 Hen III- ob. a. 1312] m. Mariota (living 1336)
III Thomas [fl. 1272-1336] m. 2.Alexander [ob. c. 1365] m. 3. Peter
IV. Thomas m. Margaret[living 1374]
1. Thomas [ob. 1368] 2.Alexander m. Isabella 3.Francis
V. Alexander .[living 18.1.1461] 2. Ralph
m. 2 John Brandsley
VI. Alexander m. [18.1.1461] 2. Alexander
m. Malde. dau. Sir Richard Salkeld
VII. Alexander[will 31.7.1544] m. Ann 2. Richard [ob. 30.7.1540]
dau. of John Crakenthorpe 3. Rowland
VIII. Albany(1) m [1.7.1543] 2. Thomas 3. John
Lucy Dudley 4. Nicholas
IX. Alexander (ob. 3.7.1596) m. Anne 2. Henry (2)
dau. of Sir Richard Lowther–Earls of Lonsdale
X. Albany [b. c.1575] m. Frances 2. George (3)
dau. of John Barwise 3. Christopher m.
XI. Albany [b. 1603 m. Jane dau. of 2. Richard
John Fetherston of Stanhope Hall
Abigail m. Peter Dodson (2) Thomas Dykes
(1) Given as Anthony, whose daughter-in-law was Anne, daughter of Sir John Louther, by Foster (Pedigrees Recorded at the Heralds’ Visitations of Northumberland, p. 53)
(2) See Table II.
(3) See Table III.
Vol. 2. Page 7
Featherstonhaugh of the College, Kirkoswald [based on Hutchinson. History of the County of Cumberland (Carlisle, 1794), i. 290-4, and Burke, Landed Gentry (6th edition, London, 1882), i. 557]
Henry [ob 11. 1626] m. Dorothy Wybergh
Sir Timothy [beheaded 22.10. 1651 m. Bridget Patrickson
Sir Henry [r. 1651] Thomas [b.1618] m. 1.Richard m Cath Graham
(2) Mary Dacre 3. Timothy [ob 1645]
2. John m Isabel Wharton
two sons Philip &
Timothy [b 1658 m. Henry [d.s.p.] Thomas [ob. 1747]
Heneage m Joan Lydston Henry [ob. 1779 Timothy
Timothy [ob 1797] m Dorothy Dacre Henage m _____ Willy
Featherstons of Hopton Court (based on Burke, op. cit… i. 557]
George m. Margaret Musgrave
Albany George William Richard m. [19.3.1797]
Alexander Stephenson m. Emma Kimber Thomas Joseph m.[16.9.1869] John
Anne Eliz. Margaret
Shirley Arthur Stephenson
compiled by: Dr. G.P. Cuttino
Vol. 2. Page 8
1860 Amelia County, Virginia Federal Census
P.O. Ladore – 18 June 1860
p. 185 – 303/291
Charles H. Featherston 74 farmer 6,000/21,034 VA
John Featherston 28 farmer VA
P.O. Mannton – 27 July 1860
p. 219 – 550/527
Edward A. Featherston 45 teacher 3,500/11,139 VA
Mary W. Featherston 32 NC
E.M. Featherston 13 VA
Charles Featherston 11 VA
Sarah Featherston 11 VA
Mary S. Featherston 8 VA
Richard Featherston 5 VA
Lydia F. Featherston 3 VA
Lewis H. Featherston 7/12 VA
1860 Appomattox County, Virginia Federal Census
p. 492 – 502/502
Jas. A. Agee 41 farmer 3,900/5,126 VA
Sarah A. Agee 39 wife VA
Wm. E. Agee 43 school teacher VA
Jas. H. Featherston 15 VA
1870 Buncombe County, North Carolina Federal Census
Sulpher Springs Pet. – Ashville P.O. – 17 June 1870
p. 199 – 51/52
Columbus Featherston 23 machines! NC
1870 Forsyth County. North Carolina Federal Census
Bethania – 13 Aug 1870
Benjamin Featherston 64 farmer /100 VA
Mary Featherston 61 keeping house VA
Mary Featherston 26 at home VA
John W. Featherston 21 labor on farm VA
Ida J. Featherston 18 at home VA
The above census records read by:
Vol. 2. Page 9
Scott County, Arkansas Deeds
The following deeds are available in Book 4 of Scott County
Filed 3 Oct 1873 refiled 23 May 188-
R.M. Featherston to P.M. Featherston for one hundred dollars to be paid him by his brother P.M. sold all his rights, titles, interest or claims in the following described lands belonging to the estate of W.G. Featherston
A part of the W 1/2 SC 1/4 and E 1/2 SW 1/4 and W 1/2 SW 1/4 of Sec. 21 Twp. 3 North Range 29 W.
Filed 3 Oct 18— Refiled 23 May 188-
G.W. Featherston and his wife Mary A. sold his share of the same land to his brother F.M. also for $100
Filed 18 Oct 1873 refiled 23 May 1887
Francis M. Featherston and his wife Mattie E., sold the following land to James C. Gilbreath for the sum of Two Hundred and thirty five dollars cash sold “all my undivided three-seventh interest title & claim that I now have by virtue of being an heir at law of W.G. Featherston deceased”. “The hereinafter described tract or parcel of land lying and situate in Scott County, Arks, a part of the West half of the South East 1/2 and also a part of the South West 1/4 of Section twenty one (21) in Township three (3) North of the Base line in Range twenty nine west containing one hundred acres more or less the same being the homestead place of said W.G. Featherston at the time of his death together with all and singular the appurtenances to the said premises belonging.”
Filed: 7 Nov 1873 Refiled: 23 May 1887
Richard H, Featherston sold to James C. Gilbreath for the sum of Three hundred and fifteen dollars “all my un-divided four seventh interest right title and claim that I now have by virtue of being an heir at law of W.G. Featherston deceased Three of which shares having been purchased by me from P.H. Spencer Nancy Crow and H.T. Ellington three heirs to said W.G. Featherston deceased making four shares of the herein after described tracts or parcels of land being and situate in Scott County, Arkansas. A part of the West half of the South East 1/2 and also a part of the South West 1/4 of Section twenty nine (29) west containing one hundred acres more or less. the same being the Homestead place of the said W.G. Featherston at the time of his death together with all and singular the appurtenances to the said premises belonging to have and to hold…cont…
Vol. 2. Page 10
Scott Co., AR Deeds – cont.
Filed 7 Nov 1873 Refiled 23 May 1887
John A Spencer and Phebe H. Spencer sold the following land to her brother Richard H. Featherston for one hundred dollars: All our interest in and to the lands belonging to the estate of W.G. Featherston of Scott County and State of Arkansas which said lands are described as follows to wit:
Part of the W 1/2 SE 1/4 and E 1/2 SW 1/4 and W 1/2 of SW 1/4 of Sec. 21 in Township 3 North Range 29 West
Filed for Record: 17 Nov 1873 Refiled: 23 May 1887
Nathan M. Ellington and Harriet T. Ellington, wife of the said Nathan M. Ellington in her own right in consideration of the sum of one (1) Dollar to us paid by Richard H. Featherston (the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) do by these presents give grant bargain sell and convey unto the said Richard H. Featherston his heirs and assigns all of our interest in and to the land belonging to the estate of W.G. Featherston of Scott County
Filed; 7 Nov 1883 Refiled 23 May 1887
Jacob W. Crow and Nancy J. Crow sold the following lands to her brother Richard H. Featherston for one dollar: All our interest in and to the land belonging to the estate of W.G. Featherston of Scott County and State of Arkansas, Deceased, which said lands are bounded and described as follows to wit: Part of the W 1/2 of SE 1/4 and E 1/2 SW 1/4 W 1/2 of SW 1/4 Sec. 21 Township 3 North Range 29 W.
Filed: 19 Nov 1874 Refiled: 23 May 1887 – Petition to Allot Dower
A Circuit Court hearing was held: on 17th day of January 1874 to allot dower to Nancy Featherston out of real estate of W.G. Featherston. Plaintiff Nancy Featherston, William G.’s third wife Again W.G. Featherston Estate and F.M. Featherston et al requesting allottment of dower on all lands and appurtenances belonging to Wm. G. 19th day of Nov. 1874. Motion to dismiss this cause by defendants, F.M.
Vol. 2. Page 11
Oklahoma Cemetery Records
Longwood Cemetery, Kay County
Taylor L. Featherston 5 Apr 1893 – 28 Nov 1955 Okia PFC Co. B 132 WWI
Resthaven Memorial Park Cemetery, Kay County
Albert H. Featherston 21 Jan 1897 – 31 Jan 1973
Midwest City Cemetery, Canadian County
Mary Featherston 1846 – 17 Apr 1910 OK
Blanchard Main Cemetery, McClain County
Henry Featherstone 19 Apr 1865 – 14 Feb 1954
Viola Featherstone 25 Jan 1870 – 12 Jan 1934
Jimmy Work Cemetery, Pittsburg County
Alice Featherston d. 13 June 1890
Sophie Featherston 20 Oct 1871 – 19 Jan 1890
Gar Cemetery, Miami, Ottawa County
E.C. Feathersteen NC 1961
Morris Cemetery. Okmulgee County
Goldie Featherston 22 Apr 1905 –
Clinton Featherston 19 June 1902 – 26 Jan 1973
Gibson Cemetery, Muskogee County, north of Haskell
(may be Wagoner County)
Dave Featherston 1890 – 1912
John P. Featherston 6 July 1892 – 2 Mar 1959
submitted by: Mavis Brees
Vol. 2. Page 13
NOTES FROM OUR READERS:
Your readers might be interested in a book, “Good Morning, Mr. Featherstone?” 700 years of Perkinson Family History, by Eula Perkinson, with pictures and story of the Featherston Castle in Northumberland. England. I have visited the castle and find the story well worth while to read about it and the origin of (probably) all Featherston(e)s in North America.
Lt. Col. (Ret.) and Mrs. Fred E. Featherstone, Jr.
My husband was Albert Pierce, son of Franklyn P. Featherston. Albert was born July 28, 1888 and died July 21, 1963. All his children are girls. Franklyn P. Featherston’s father was James H. Featherston. Franklyn died July 3, 1933 in Houston, Texas.
Mrs. Katie Featherston
note by editor – refer to Volume 1, page 21
Branch *2, Generation II, child number 5 for Franklin Pierce Featherston
On page 5, FEATHERSTON FINDINGS, Vol. 1
Early Middle Tennessee Marriages Vol. 1 Brides Berintha Featherston, my great-grandmother’s sister married David P. Hannis (not Harris).
Mildred McKnight Shamburger
Vol. 2. Page 13a
The BRANCHES section of FEATHERSTON FINDINGS presents an opportunity for all of those interested in our heritage to record our direct descent. These BRANCHES are not confined to the spelling of Featherston, but may also include Featherstone, Featherstun, etc. If YOu have not yet sent in your BRANCH, please do so as soon as possible. I encourage you to take advantage of this FREE SERVICE.
These BRANCHES will be published in the order in which they are received or at my discretion. Every effort will be made to transcribe material exactly as it is submitted. However, if errors occur in this transcription process, please let me know, so I can make corrections in a future volume. If, while typing your lineage for publication, there is a doubt as to the spelling of your surname, the spelling of Featherston will be used.
These BRANCHES may be added to or corrected in future volumes. Therefore, it is not necessary to wait until you have completed your research before submitting your lineage for publication. Although we all may have best intentions of permanently recording our findings, too often the family historian passes away or becomes too ill to continue research work and those years of research are lost forever.
By publishing your BRANCH and research material in FEATHERSTON FINDINGS you not only protect your family information, but help future researchers find their elusive family heritage.
You may submit your lineage in the form found in this section or you may submit the information on Family Group Sheets. It is not so important how you submit your lineage, but that you do submit it. Please cite your sources whenever possible.
If you find you are fortunate enough to connect with an established branch already in print, please let me know. The branches will be merged in a future volume, the earlier branch number will be maintained, and later number be eliminated. Perhaps we may eventually find a common ancestor and become one large family!
Joyce Featherston Hawkins
Vol. 2. Page 14
B R A N C H #1
refer to Volume 1, page 11, Generation I, child number 5
II Jeremiah Featherston, b. 4 Nov 1776 VA. d. 11 Jul 1854 Franklin Co., KY; m. 4 Jan 1796 Charlotte Co., VA to Elizabeth Elmore – b. 7 Mar 1771 VA d. 3 Mar 1864 KY, d/o James Elmore/Sarah Tarpley.
1. Nancy P. Featherston – b. 22 Mar 1797, d. 3 Oct 1822; m. John Featherston – s/o Carolus Featherston/Lucy Elmore. John & Nancy were double first cousins.
*2. William R. Featherston – b. 7 Dec 1798 prob. Charlotte Co., VA
3. Elizabeth Elmore Featherston – b. 23 Apr 1801, d. 8 Aug 1882; m. 15 Oct 1837 to Edward Elmore
4. Robert Wright Featherston – b. 30 Mar 1803, d. 24 Mar 1899; m.l) 27 Mar 1830 to Margaret Farra; m.2) 18 Dec 1829 to Elizabeth Higbee
5. Mary (Polly) James Featherston – b. 18 Jan 1805, d. 11 Dec 1893; m. 20 Nov 1829 to John Wilkinson
III William R. Featherston – b. 7 Dec 1798 prob. Charlotte Co., VA, d. 14 Sep 1878 Auburn, Sangamon Co., IL, bur. Wimmer Cem., Auburn, Sangamon Co., IL; m.l) 9 Apr 1827 Jessamine Co., KY to Sally Elmore – d/o James Elmore/Mary; m.2) Jan 1838 KY to Martha L. Dunn – she m.l) ? Wilson, d/o Nathaniel Dunn/Mary; m.3) 19 Dec 1848 Franklin Co., KY to Asenth Kellar – b. ca. 1815 KY; m.4) 19 Jan 1856 Indianapolis, Marion Co., IN to Ann Morris – b. ca. 1806 PA
Issue by 1st wife:
1. James Featherston – b. ca. 1831 KY
2. Sarah E. Featherston – b. ca. 1835 KY
Issue by 2nd wife;
*3. William Henry Featherston – b. 16 Feb 1839 Jessamine Co., KY
4. Robert Featherston – b. ca. 1840 KY
IV William Henry Featherston – b. 16 Feb 1839 Jessamine Co., KY. d. 2 Mar 1925 Harris Co., TX, bur. Magnolia Cem., Katy, TX; Farmer/Baptist minister; m.l) 7 Sep 1865 Springfield, Sangamon Co., IL to Sarah Jane McComas – b. 14 Mar 1838 Sangamon Co., IL, d. 6 Mar 1872 Butler, Bates Co., MO, bur. Butler, Bates Co., MO, d/o Elisha McComas/Sophia Shelton; m.2) 1 Jan 1874 Auburn. Sangamon Co., IL to Nancy Vancil – b. 23 Nov 1826 Auburn, Sangamon Co., IL, d. 22 Mar 1891 Auburn, Sangamon Co., IL, bur. Wimmer Cem., Auburn, Sangamon Co., IL – she m.l) Jacob Vancil, d/o Penrod Vancil/; m.3) 24 Jan 1894 Palmyra, Macoupin Co., IL to Amelia Jane Dikes – b. Oct 1858/1860, IL. d. 7 Mar 1911 Harris Co., TX, bur. Magnolia Cem., Katy, TX – she m.l) John Nevins and had child Elmer Nevins, d/o David Dikes/
Issue by 1st wife:
1. Mary L. Featherston – b. 1866 Sangamon Co.. IL, d. 1912 Auburn. Sangamon Co., IL; m. Auburn, Sangamon Co., IL to William S. Harris
2. William Taylor Featherston – b. 1868 Sangamon Co., IL d. 22 Sep 1948 Prague OK; m. Clara Albert
*3. Robert Lee Featherston – b. 19 Jan 1872 Butler, Bates Co.. MO cont…
Vol. 2. Page 15
BRANCH #1- cont.
Issue by 3rd wife:
4. Eunice Opal Featherston – b. 1895 Sangamon Co., IL. d. 20 Nov 1961 Harris Co., TX; m. TX to Julius Koester
5. Henry Clay Featherston – b. 9 Oct 1896 Sangamon Co., IL, d. 24 Aug 1900 Harris Co., TX, bur. Magnolia Cem., Katy, TX
6. Carl Stewart Featherston – b. 1901 Harris Co., TX d. 7 Sep 1957 Bend Co., TX
7. Royce E. Featherston – b. 1902 Harris Co., TX; m. Willie
V Robert Lee Featherston – b. 19 Jan 1872 Butler, Bates Co., MO. d. 26 Apr 1952 Douglas. Converse Co.. WY, bur. Douglas, Converse Co., WY; m. 24 Dec 1893 Bethelem, Wayne Co., IA to Mary Belle Webber – b. 12 Nov 1876 IA, d. 25 Feb 1948 Douglas, Converse Co., WY, bur. Douglas, Converse Co., WY. d/o John William Webber/Eliza Ann Parker
1. Lester Walter Featherston – b. 10 Nov 1894 Wayne Co., IA, d. Apr 1957; m. April 1917 to Ella Hamilton
*2. Ida Vivian Featherston – b. 8 Feb 1897 Wayne Co., IA
3. William Bland Featherston – b. 10 Jan 1900 Wayne Co., IA, d. 13 Apr 1951; never married
4. Jessie Maevis Featherston – b. 16 Nov 1902 Wayne Co., IA; m. Jack Hughes
5. Lloyd Lee Featherston – b. 2 Feb 1905 Wayne Co., IA d. 5 Jul 1963; m. 8 Mar 1935 to Alice Everson
6. Rober Dale Featherston – b. 16 May 1918 Converse Co., WY, d. 18 Dec 1935; never married
VI Ida Vivian Featherston – b. 8 Feb 1897 Wayne Co., IA, d. 27 Sep 1979 thousand Oaks, CA, bur. Whittier, CA; m. 10 Nov 1917 Corydon, Wayne Co., IA to Stephen Everett Moore – b. 13 Oct 1894 Putnam Co., MO, d. 10 Jul 1973 Centerville, Appanoose Co., IA, bur. Centerville, IA, s/o Richard B. Moore/Nellie Darrah
1. William Elwood Moore – b. 26 Nov 1922 Moraiva. IA, d. 24 Sep 1976 Huntington Park, CA; m. 10 Apr 1947 Chillicothe. MO to Geneva I. Walker
*2. Mavis LaRue Moore – b. 23 Jul 1924 Mystic, IA
VII Mavis LaRue Moore – b. 23 Jul 1924 Mystic, IA; m. 6 Mar 1943 Chillicothe, MO to Kenneth Eugene Brees – b. 3 Feb 1924 Wayne Co., IA; retired R.R. agent; Pilot, WWII Army Air Force, s/o Oren Purley Brees/Evelyn Maytum
1. Kenna Gene Brees – b. 8 Jul 1945 Apppanoose Co., IA; m. 14 Jul 1963 Newtown. MO to Gary Ray Henness – b. 29 Sep 1941 Milan, MO. s/o Roy Henness/Marette Yardley
1. Anthony Eugene Henness – b. 17 May 1967 Appanoose Co., IA
submitted by; Mavis Brees
Vol. 2. Page 16
BRANCH #2 – correction
see Volume 1, pages 22 & 23
4. George Davis Featherston – b. 16 Nov 1916 El Centre, CA; m. 4 Aug 1941 to Nannie Belle Holcomb
was not m, 14 Feb 1944 to Lots Nadine Bucher
Note: Please accept my apologies for this error in transcription-JFH.
I . William Featherston – m. probably Frances ____
*1. William Featherston, Jr. – b. ca. 1710-18
II. William Featherston. Jr. – b. ca. 1710-18, d. Apr 1769 Amelia Co., VA; m. ca. 1737 to Susannah Grigg – b. 11 Jun 1720. d. bef. 1767, d/o William Grigg. Jr./Frances ___. Sources: Southern Kith & Kin by Jewel Davis Scarborough; Virginia Land Patents; Bristol Parish Register; William Featherston will Amelia Co., VA Will Bk. 2, p. 276; Lewis Featherston’s will Amelia Co., VA Will Bk. 3, p. 43; Amelia Co. Deed Bk. 13. p. 73 7 140; Nottoway Co., VA Will Bk 1, p. 25; Nottoway Co. Order Bk. 5, p. 374.
1. William Grigg Featherston – d. 1787 Amelia Co., VA
2. Lewis Featherston – d. Jan 1781 (date of will) Amelia Co., VA; m. Elizabeth Leath
3. Richard Featherston – b. VA, d. by 1773; m. Susanna Davenport
4. Jesse Featherston – b. aft. 22 Aug 1746 VA, d. bef. 1820 census in TN; m. by 15 Jan 1775 to Catherine ___
*5. Burwell (or Burrell) Featherston – b. 1762 or earlier, prob. Nottoway Parish, Amelia Co., VA
6. Charles Howell Featherston – b. after Jan 1760, d. aft. 12 Jan 1791; unmarried
7. Frances Featherston – (may have been oldest child) d. by 1788; m. by 1767 to George Stell (or Still), Jr.
8. Lucy Featherston – d. bef. 1817; m. by 1767 to John Vaughan
9. Elizabeth Featherston – d. aft. 1802; m. aft. 1767 to Lewis Clark(e)
10. Susannah Featherston – d. bef. 1792; m. aft. 1767 to ___ Wells
III. Burwell (or Burrell) Featherston – b. 1762 or earlier, prob. Nottoway Parish, Amelia Co., VA, d. ca. 1808 when letters of adm. granted in Nottoway Co., VA in Oct 1808; m. (date unknown) to Ann Hightower – d. aft. 1826, d/o Joshua Hightower. Sources: Research of Marie Rut ledge; Marriages & Obituaries from New Orleans Christian Advocate 1851-1860. cont…
Vol. 2. Page 17
BRANCH #5- cont.
1. William Featherston – b. 27 Feb 1781 Amelia Co., VA, d. 20 Oct 1872 Robertson Co., TN, bur. Cheatham Cem.. Springfield, TN; m. 9 Jan 1809 Nottoway Co., VA to Elizabeth Jones – b. 29 Aug 1785 Amelia Co., VA, d. 1867 Robertson Co., TN, d/o Rev. John Jones/Nancy
*2. Burwell (or Burrell) Featherston, Jr. – b. ca. 1784
3. Richard Featherston – b. 7 Nov 1791 Nottoway Co., VA, d. 18 Apr 1859 Warren Co., MS; m. 1815 VA to Frances H. Sills
4. Joshua Featherston – b. 24 Sep 1788 Nottoway Co., VA. d. 3 Jun 1848 Lunenburg Co.. VA; m. 16 Oct 1821 Lunenburg Co., VA to Ann Wilkinson
5. John Featherston –
IV. Burwell (or Burrell) Featherston, Jr. – b. ca. 1784, d. 21 Feb 1875; m. 9 Dec 1808 Dinwiddie Co., VA to Rebecca Adams (this may have been a second marriage) – b. ca. 1788 VA d. 4 Feb 1852 Shelby Co.. IL; m.2) 11 Sep 1853 Robertson Co., TN to Sophia Hart. Sources: Cora Stuckey; Brenda Fischler; Louise Swindell; Virginia Phillips; Marriage Records of Claiborne/Warren Cos., MS; Robertson Co., TN marriage records; Shelby Co., IL marriage records.
1. William S. Featherston – b. ca. 1802 (1808?) Amelia Co.. VA, d. 3 Dec 1871 Barry Co., MO; m. Bedford Co.. TN to Margaretta Pressgrove
*2. John H. Featherston – b. ca. 1804-1807 Amelia Co., VA
3. Belfield Featherston – b. ca. 1810/11 Amelia Co., VA; m. Nancy Culberson
4. Eliza Beatherston – b. 25 Apr 1817 VA, d. 12 Jun 1869; m. 6 Dec 1833 to William Pressgrove
5. Richard Featherston – d. 16 Nov 1853; m. 19 Jan 1849 Shelby Co.. IL to Elizabeth Camp bell
6. Adaline Featherston – b. ca. 1823; m. 1) 24 Sep 1840 Robertson Co., TN to Thomas Haghtower d. 11 Sep 1859; m.2) William Hussong – d. 19 Oct 1865; m.3) Reuben Alien – d. 20 Feb 1871
7. George Washington Featherston (Rev.) – b. 23 Jul 1824 Robertson Co., TN, d. 12 Mar 1916; m. 29 Mar 1842 Robertson Co.. TN to Martha Redferrin
8. Francis Marion Featherston – b. 22 Sep 1826. d. 30 Jan 1891 MS; m.l) 19 Jun 1848 Warren Co.. MS to Mary Eliza Rundell; m.2) Virgie Markham
9. Joseph Henry Featherston – b. 6 Mar 1829 Robertson Co., TN. d. 27 Nov 1878 Woodville, MS; m. 26 Nov 1851 Warren Co., MS to Clara Rainey
10. Martha Featherston – b. 25 Mar 1832 Robertson Co., TN; m. 12 Jan 1862 Robertson Co., TN to William A. Jones
V. John H. Featherston – b. ca. 1804-1807 Amelia Co.. VA, d. aft. 1880; m.ca. 1824 Bedford Co., TN to Nancy Pressgrove – b. ca. 1806-1810 TN d. aft. 1880, d/o Andrew Pressgrove/Anna __. Sources: Bedford Co., TN 1830 & 1840 censuses; Simpson Co.. KY 1860 census; Hickman Co., KY 1870 & 1880 censuses; Robertson Co., TN marriage records; Hickman Co., KY Court Order Bk. F., p. 104; St. Francois Co., MO Marriages; Ripley Co., MO 1900 census, cont…
Vol. 2. Page 18
BRANCH #5 cont…
1. male – b. ca. 1825, d. young
2. female – b. ca. 1827, d. young
*3. Andrew Featherston – b. 1828 Bedford Co., TN
4. female – b. ca. 1830, d. young
5. male – b. ca. 1831
6. female – b. ca. 1833
7. William C. Featherston – b. Sep 1834 TN; m.l) Martha ___; m.2) 10 Jul 1882 St. Francois Co., MO to Rebecca J. Eaton and div. 1896 Ripley Co., MO
8. James C. Featherston – b. Sep 1834 TN
9. John Featherston – b. ca. 1837 TN
10. Burl Featherston – b. ca. 1839 TN
11. Christopher Columbus Featherston – b. ca. 1847. d. 1890 Piedmont, Wayne Co.. MO; m.l) 27 Mar 1866 Robertson Co., TN to Martha F. Cherry; m.2) 2 Jul 1877 Simpson Co., KY to Martha Garrison
12. Isaac Featherston – b. 1850 IL
VI . Andrew Featherston – b. 1828 Bedford Co., TN d. 9 Sep 1884 St. Francois Co., MO; m.l) ca. 1848 TN to Elvira Letticia Martin – b. 18 Apr 1829 TN, d. 22 Mar 1884 St. Francois Co., MO, bur. New Chapel Cem.. Hickman Co., KY; m.2) 25 Aug 1884 St. Francois Co., MO to Mrs. Mary E. Thurman. Sources: Hickman Co., KY 1870 & 1880 censuses; St. Francois Co., MO death records; Hickman Co., KY marriage records; Mississippi Co., MO marriage records; Bible records of Henrietta Lamkin Featherston.
Issue by 1st wife:
1. Fanny M. Featherston – b. ca. 1850
2. Missouri Ann Featherston – b. 1 Jan 1852 TN, d. 14 Feb 1880 Hickman Co., KY, bur. New Chapel Cem., Hickman Co., KY; m. 29 Sep 1873 Hickman Co., KY to W.C. Sweezy
3. Belfield F. Featherston – b. 2 Dec 1855 KY. d. 19 Nov 1932 Hickman Co.. KY, bur. Clinton Cem.. Hickman Co.. KY; m. 11 Aug 1875 Belmont, Mississippi Co., MO to Polly Ann Allison
*4. Andrew Jackson Featherston – b. 22 Nov 1857 KY
5. Hiram Featherston – b. ca. 1860 KY, d. Jan 1904 Dallas. TX; m. 4 Nov 1880 St. Francois Co., MO to Sarah L. Richardson
6. George Martin Featherston – b. 29 Jan 1863 KY, d. 29 Jul 1922 Hickman Co., KY; m.l) 1 Apr 1885 St. Francois Co., MO to Cynthia M. Mitchell; m.2) Laura Bell Bugg
7. John Henry Featherston – b. 16 Aug 1864 KY, d. 11 Sep 1889. bur. Spring Hill Cem., Hickman Co., KY; not married
8. Rosa Featherston – b. 1869 KY, d. 20 Nov 1944 Carrio Aereo. Mexico; m. H.O. Claywell
VII Andrew Jackson Featherston – b. 22 Nov 1857 KY, d. 18 Jun 1912 Carlisle Co., KY; m. 11 Jan 1877 Belmont, Mississippi Co., MO to Henrietta Lamkin – b. 13 Dec 1854 Hickman Co., KY, d. 1 Jul 1934 Carlisle Co., KY, d/o John E. Lamkin/Mary Jane Zook. Sources: Hickman Co., KY History; Hickman Co., KY 1880 census; Carlisle Co., KY 1900 & 1910 censuses; Fred Ernest Featherstone, Jr.; Maurine Featherstone. cont…
Vol. 2. Page 12
Randolph County, Missouri Administration and Will Records 1836-1858
compiled by Elizabeth Prather Ell sherry – 1962
Harrison Carver, died intestate
John Carver, adm.
Charles Featherston and William Rutherford, Sec.
9 Apr 1844
p. 32 – Will Book 2
Heirs of James J. Featherston:
Lucy J. Sidenor
Martha Ann T___
William H. Featherston
Jeremiah R. Featherston
Signed: C. Featherston
19 Mar 1853
Marriage, Death and Legal Notices From Early Alabama Newspapers 1819-1893
compiled by Pauline Jones Gandrud 1981
From Huntsville Confederate 1862
August 30, 1844
Married on 15th instant Mr. William C. Nichol to Miss Perlina. daughter of Maj. H.C. Featherston, all of this county.
December 3, 1857
Married on 25th at the residence of H(owell) C. Featherstone. Esq. in the vicinity of Athens, Alabama by Rev. J.G. Wilson, Dr. Robt. (E.) Tweedy of Courtland, Alabama to Miss Harriet O(phelia) Featherstone.
January 7, 1863
Limestone Co. legal advertisements; Francis M. Cantrell executor of the will of Amanda C. Cantrell; Brice M. Townsend, administrator of Howell C. Featherstone; and William C. Nichols administrator of Polina E. Nichols (wife of Wm.C.)
Index to Court Records 1874-1931
Rip ley County, Missouri
LDS Library microfilm #0927721
Featherstun, W.C. – plaintiff vs. Rebecca Featherstun, Jan. 27, 1896 cause of action – divorce
Term disposed of: Oct. 1896
Featherston et all was overruled, including exceptions requested, and the court proceeded to allot dower to the defendant Nancy Featherston widow of the said W.G. Featherston deceased out of the real estate mentioned in previous deeds one-third value.
submitted by: Mrs. I.D. Oakley
Vol. 2. Page 19
B R A N C H #5 – cont…
1. Fred Ernest Featherstone – b. 28 Apr 1881 Carlisle Co., KY, d. 8 Sep 1946 Miami, Dade Co., FL, bur. Miami Memorial Park. Dade Co., FL; m. 6 Sep 1903 Carterville, Williamson Co., IL to Jessie Loreen Cox – b. 2 Sep 1886 Carterville, Williamson Co., IL. d. 29 Feb 1968 Miami, Dade Co., FL, bur. Miami Memorial Park, Dade Co., FL, d/o Jefferson Cox/Delia Adams
2. Sam Otis Featherstone – b. 30 May 1883 Carlisle Co., KY, d. 29 Oct 1956 Carlisle Co., KY; m. 10 Jan 1927 Carlisle Co., KY to Jessie Lee Winfrey – b. 10 Jul 1898 Hickman Co., KY, d. 17 Jul 1973 Hickman Co., KY; she m.l) Cloud W. Kimbell in Mar 1917 & he was killed in tornado 8 Jun 1917 – d/o John Winfrey/Bridgel Noonman
3. George Lee Featherston – b. 12 Oct 1886 Carlisle Co.. KY, d. 3 Jan 1956 Hickman Co., KY, bur. Arlington Cem.. Carlisle Co., KY; m.l) 12 Oct 1907 Fulton, Obion Co., TN to Mayme Lou Haynes – b. 27 Mar 1886 Union Co., KY, d. 30 Sep 1823 Carlisle Co., KY. bur Arlington Cem., Carlisle Co., KY, d/o Edward Walker Haynes/Henretta Wright; m.2) 9 Mar 1924 Kansas City, MO to Lucy Maud Ashley – b. 14 Nov 1898 Hickman Co., KY. d/o Benjamin Franklin Ashley/Susanna Ann Crane
*4. Ethel Marie Featherston – b. 2 Apr 1889 Carlisle Co., KY
5. Irma Isabel Ie Featherston – b. 7 Jun 1896 KY, d. 8 May 1969 KY
VIII. Ethel Marie Featherston – b. 2 Apr 1889 Carlisle Co., KY d. 12 Aug 1922 Clinton, Hickman Co.. KY. bur. Arlington Cem.. Carlisle Co., KY; m. 1 Jun 1916 Carlisle Co., KY to Elmer Ellsworth Tartar – b. 3 Oct 1886 Russell Co., KY. d. 12 Jun 1990 (aged 103) Bowling Green, KY, bur. Fair-view Cem., Bowling Green. KY, s/o Wesley Monroe Tartar/Narcissa Tucker.
*1. Elmeree Tartar – b. 19 May 1921 Carlisle Co., KY
IX. Elmeree Tartar – b. 19 May 1921 Carlisle Co.. KY; m. 9 Aug 1941 Dade Co.. FL to Ishmael D. Oakley – b. 24 Apr 1918 Webster Co., KY, d. 25 Jan 1989 Nashville, Davidson Co., TN, bur. Riverside Cem. Hopkinsville Christian Co.. KY, s/o L.D. Oakley/Carrie Shelton
1. David E. Oakley –
2. Diane Oakley –
3. Robert Shelton Oakley
submitted by: Mrs. I.D. (Elmeree) Oakley
B R A N C H #5 –
a continuation submitted by another descendant
see pages 16 & 17. Generation III, child 1.
IV. William Featherston – b. 27 Feb 1781 Amelia Co., VA. d. 20 Oct 1872 Robertson Co., TN; farmer; Methodist; War of 1812 vet.; res. Amelia Co., VA, Nottoway Co., VA, Dinwiddie Co., VA, Robertson Co., TN; m. 9 Jan 1809 Nottoway cont…
Vol. 2. Page 20
BRANCH #5 cont…
Co., VA to Elizabeth Jones – b. 29 Aug 1785 Amelia Co., VA, d. 1867 Robertson Co., TN – d/o Rev. John Jones/Nancy. Sources: Birthdates are from Rev. Joshua Featherston’s Bible (no deaths or marriages are recorded there); Comments on early deaths made by Joshua’s dau. (Sarah C.E. Featherston Goodman), Robertson Co. marriages from county records and Robertson Co. cemetery records gave dates of death for Martha Ann Newton, Mary Dycus, & Joshua Wood Featherston; Bible records; Pension papers; Garrett obit. from TN Newspapers.
1. Ann Eliza Featherston – b. 19 Apr 1811 VA, d. young
2. John Burwell Featherston – b. 18 Aug 1812 VA. d. by Apr 1838 (his sale 18 Apr 1838); never married
3. Martha Ann Featherston – b. 9 Dec 1813 VA, d. 25 Jan 1891 probably Robertson Co., TN, bur. Newton Cem., Dist. #6, Robertson Co., TN; m. ca. 1842 probably Robertson Co., TN to William Newton
4. Sarah Catharine E. Featherston – b. 9 Apr 1816 VA, d. (no death date on tombstone), bur. Elmwood Cem., Springfield, TN; m. 29 Mar 1841 Jesse M. Davis
5. William R. Featherston – b. 17 Sep 1818 VA, d. young
*6. Joshua Wood Featherston – b. 14 Feb 1820 Nottoway Co., VA
7. Henry D. Featherston – b. 13 Jun 1823 VA; m.l) 7 Apr 1846 to Mary Draughon; m.2) 26 Nov 1848 to M.E. Davis
8. Mary S.F. Featherston – b. 22 Jun 1825 VA, d. 9 Dec 1896, bur. Elmwood Cem., Springfield, TN; m. 2 Jan 1848 Phinis Ewing Dycus
9. Edwin Jones Featherston – b. 22 Apr 1827 VA, d. ca. 1898 (said to have died in home of niece, Ms. Gaines Davis; never married
10. David S. Featherston – b. 6 Aug 1832 Robertson Co., TN; m.l) 13 Jan 1854 to Susan Crawford; m.2) 27 Jan 1874 to Elizabeth Dorris
V. Joshua Wood Featherston – b. 14 Feb 1820 Nottoway Co., VA. d. 13 Jan 1899 Robertson Co., TN, bur. Jackson Cem., Dist. #8, Robertson Co., TN; farmer & minister; Methodist; res. Nottoway and Dinwiddie Cos., VA, Robertson Co., TN; m. 27 Feb 1844 Robertson Co., TN to Emily Maria Price Jackson – b. 5 Nov 1827 Prince Edward Co., VA, d. 24 May 1912 Robertson Co., TN, bur. Jackson Cem., Dist. #8, Robertson Co., TN – d/o Miles Jackson/Jane Pulliam Hamblen; res. Prince Edward Co., VA Robertson Co., TN. Sources: Bible record of Rev. Joshua Featherston of Robertson Co., TN, Robertson Co., TN marriage records. Robertson Co., TN cemetery records.
1. Wesley Raymond Featherston (Ramy) – b. 10 Apr 1845 Robertson Co., TN, d. 2 Apr 1924. bur. Elmwood Cem., Springfield, TN; m. 2 Jan 1878 Robertson Co., TN to Mary Elizabeth Long
2. Leona Idelia Madora Lankford Featherston – b. 22 Apr 1847 Robertson Co., TN, d. 26 Jun 1898, Nashville, Davidson Co., TN; m. 19 Dec 1865 Robertson Co., TN to William Anderson Jackson
3. Elizabeth Frances Mary Jane Featherston (Frank) – b. 15 Jun 1849 Robertson Co., TN, d. 17 Sep 1876 Robertson Co., TN, bur. Jackson Cem., Dist. *8, Robertson Co., TN; m. 187- Robertson Co., TN to William J. Barnes (no issue)
*4. Sarah Catharine Eliza Featherston (Sack) – b. 1 Aug 1851 Robertson Co., TN cont…
Vol. 2. Page 21
B R A N C H #5 – cont.
5. Martha Adeline Featherston – b. 23 Oct 1862 Robertson Co.. TN, d. 17 Oct 1948 Robertson Co., TN. bur. Elmwood Cem., Springfield. TN; m. 25 Nov 1883 Robertson Co., TN to Joel Frank Ruffin
VI. Sarah Catharine Eliza Featherston (Sack) – b. 1 Aug- 1851 Robertson Co., TN, d. 11 Jul 1955 (aged nearly 104) Robertson Co., TN, bur. Red River Baptist Church Cem., Dist. *6, Robertson Co., TN, res. Robertson Co., TN; m. 5 May 1881 Robertson Co., TN to John Meredith Goodman – b. 17 Nov 1851 Robertson Co., TN. d. 25 May 1926 Robertson Co.. TN. bur. Red River Baptist Church Cem.. Dist. #6, Robertson Co., TN. s/o James Coleman Goodman/Mary Rosson; Farmer; Baptist; res. Robertson Co.. TN.
*1. William Raymond Goodman – b. 12 Jun 1882 Robertson Co., TN
2. James Featherston Goodman – b. 12 Aug 1884 Robertson Co.. TN, d. 16 Mar 1960 Robertson Co., TN, bur. Red River Baptist Church Cem., Robertson Co., TN; m. 12 Apr 1911 Robertson Co.. TN to Annie Clifton Murphey
3. George Edwin Goodman – b. 1 Feb 1889 Robertson Co., TN, d. 26 Feb 1969 Blount Co., TN, bur. Blount Co., TN; m.l) 26 Jun 1918 to Brenda Head; m.2) 10 May 1921 to Dora Lee Nelson
4. John Meredith Goodman, Jr. – b. 22 Apr 1895 Robertson Co.. TN, d. 9 Aug 1979 Robertson Co., TN, bur. Red River Baptist Church Cem.. Dist. *6, Robertson Co., TN; m. 30 Sep 1936 Knoxville, Knox Co.. TN to Roaena Kathryn Tindell
VII William Raymond Goodman – b. 12 Jun 1882 Robertson Co.. TN, d. 27 Oct 1941 Robertson Co.. TN, bur. Hopkinsville, Christian Co., KY; minister; Baptist; Military rec. – YMCA Secretary WWI; res. Robertson Co., TN, Christian Co.. KY. Davidson Co., TN, Logan Co., KY, TX; m. 6 Apr 1910 Robertson Co., TN to Ametta Jefferson Head – b. 1 May 1884 Robertson Co., TN. d. 17 Dec 1979 Rockville, Montgomery Co., MD, bur. Hopkinsville. Christian Co., KY; d/o Hiram Jefferson Head/Mary Minerva Murphey; Baptist; res. Robertson Co., TN, Christian Co., KY, Montgomery Co., MD
1. Mary Katherine Goodman – b. 29 Nov 1916 Hopkinsville, Christian Co., KY, d. 4 Jul 1918 Hopkinsville, Christian Co., KY, bur. Hopkinsville, Christian Co., KY
*2. Brenda Head Goodman – b. 25 Mar 1920 Hopkinsville. Christian Co., KY
3. William Raymond Goodman, Jr. – b. 11 Nov 1923 Cedar Hill, Robertson Co., TN; m. 14 May 1950 Keysburg, Logan Co., KY to Mary Blanche Gill
VIII Brenda Head Goodman – b. 25 Mar 1920 Hopkinsville, Christian Co.. KY; Librarian; Baptist; WAC WWII; res. Hopkinsville. KY, Cedar Hill, TN. Dallas, TX, NC. Washington. MD; m. 11 Jan 1954 Washington, DC to Jordan (NMI) Fischler – b. 6 Oct 1917 Brooklyn, NY d. 19 Jun 1974 Rockville, Montgomery Co., MD, bur. Parklawn Cem., Rockville, MD; Meteorologist; Jewish; WWII; s/o Benjamin Fischler/Nellie Fischler
1. Alan Robert Fischler – b. 7 Sep 1955 Washington. DC; m. 3 Mar 1984 Edinboro, Crawford Co., PA to Diana Farabaugh cont…
Vol. 2. Page 22
BRANCH #5 cont….
2. Benjamin Raymond Fischler – b. 15 May 1957 Washington, DC; m.l) 31 Dec 1982 Rockville, Montgomery Co., MD to Jean Barona McKinley; m.2) 14 Jun 1989 Rockville, Montgomery Co., MD to Jean Wingate French
submitted Oct. 1990: Brenda G. Fischler
B R A N C H #5
– a continuation submitted by another descendant
see pages 17 & 18, Generation V, child 11
VI. Christopher Columbus Featherston – b. ca. 1847 TN, d. 1890 Piedmont. Wayne Co.. MO; m.l) 27 Mar 1866 Robertson Co., TN to Martha F. Cherry – b. 28 Apr 1844 KY, d. 27 Jun 1876 bur. Sulphur Springs Bapt. Church, Simpson Co., KY. d/o William Cherry/Charlotta; m.2) 2 Jul 1877 Simpson Co., KY to Martha A. Garrison – g. 1 Jun 1856 Alien Co.. KY. d. 20 Oct 1921 Ripley Co., MO. d/o William Garrison/Sarah Stamps. Res.: Simpson Co., KY Hickman Co., KY, Wayne Co., MO. Sources: Hickman Co., KY 1880 census; Ripley Co., MO cems.; Robertson Co., TN Marriages; Howell Co., MO marriages; Tombstone inscriptions.
Issue bv 1st wife
1. Charlotte Lee Featherston – b. 26 Sep 1867 KY, d. 19 Aug 1936 Ripley Co., MO; m. 2 Feb 1887 Hickman Co., KY to William Jerome Garrison
2. George N. Featherston – b. May 1869 KY, d. 1913 Tulsa, OK; m. Lillie May Berry
3. Nettie F. Featherston – b. ca. 1872 KY, d. 1940, bur. Amity Cem., Ripley Co., MO; m. Goah Hector
Issue by 2nd wife:
4. John W. Cicero Featherston – b. 22 Apr 1879 Hickman Co., KY. d. 11 Feb 1940 Howell Co., MO, bur. Union Hill Cem., Howell Co., MO; m. 16 Jul 1899 Howell Co., MO to Sarah Webster Rideout
5. Ora G. Featherston – b. 1 Apr 1881 Hickman Co., KY, d. 19 Apr 1960 Ripley Co., MO, bur. Amity Cem., Ripley Co.. MO; m. 28 Mar 1899 Howell Co., MO to George Rideout
6. Minnie P. Featherston – b. Apr 1883 Hickman Co., KY, d. 1967 Ripley Co.. MO, bur Amity Cem., Ripley Co., MO; m. 14 Dec 1902 Ripley Co., MO to Edward W. Ponder
*7. Henry Marion Featherston – b. 3 Nov 1886 Hickman Co., KY
8. Jesse A. Featherston – b. 15 Jan 1890 Wayne Co., MO, d. 29 Dec 1968 Ripley Co., MO. bur. Amity Cem., Ripley Co.. MO; m. 6 Jul 1910 Ripley Co., MO to Zetta Ponder
VII Henry Marion Featherston – b. 3 Nov 1886 Hickman Co., KY, d. 29 Apr 1972 Ripley Co., MO, bur. Doniphan. Ripley Co., MO; m. 24 Nov 1909 Howell Co., MO to Etta Frances Rideout – b. 9 Mar 1887 Howell Co.. MO, d. 30 May 1960 Butler Co., MO, bur. Doniphan, Ripley Co., MO
1. Clarice Henrietta Featherston – b. 15 Nov 1910 Ripley Co., MO; m. 8 Aug 1929 Ripley Co., MO to William Arnold Braschler – b. 20 Dec 1906 Ripley Co., MO, d. 198- Ripley Co., MO cont…
Vol. 2. Page 23
B R A N C H #5 – cont.
*2. Charles Henry Featherston – b. 25 Apr 1912 Ripley Co., MO
3. Edward Eugene Featherston – b. 6 Mar 1917 Ripley Co., MO; m. 22 May 1942 St. Louis?, MO to Florence Wolf – b. St. Louis?, MO?
4. Veta Pearl Featherston – b. 15 Jul 1918 Ripley Co., MO; m. 14 Feb 1941 Ripley Co., MO or Mississippi Co.. MO to Edwin E, Sutherland
5. Dorothy Marie Featherston – b. 7 Mar 1921 Ripley Co.. MO; m.l) 29 Jul 1937 Ripley? Co.. MO? to Bernard Braschler – b. 23 Dec 1917 Ripley Co., MO; m.2) Oct 1950 Ashley Co., AR to John Thomas Lybarger – b. 10 Mar 1922 Faulkner Co., AR; m.3) 1961 Ventura, CA to Wilbur Eugene Lamb – b. 23 Mar 1921 Dade? Co., FL?
6. James William Featherston – b. 3 Jul 1923 Ripley? Co., MO?; m.l) 8 Jul 1941 Wayne Co., MO to Virginia Rae Frazier – b. 1 Apr 1925 Kane? Co., IL; m.2) 12 Jun 1970 St. Louis, MO to Joan Paltron b. 18 Aug 1944 Orleans? Parish. LA
7. Lots Irene Featherston – b. 11 Dec 1928 Ripley Co., MO; m. 8 Jun 1949 Ripley Co., MO to Viggo Holm Madsen – b. 21 Apr 1925 Denmark
8. male – d. at birth Jul 1930, bur. Doniphan, Ripley Co.. MO (twin-)
9. male – d. at birth Jul 1930, bur. Doniphan, Ripley Co.. MO (twin)
VIII Charles Henry Featherston – b. 25 Apr 1912 Ripley Co., MO; m. 3 May 1938 Ripley Co., MO to Ellen Inez O’Brien – b. 27 Sep 1917 Ripley Co., MO
*1. Charles Ronald “Ron” Featherston – b. 30 Dec 1938 Ripley Co., MO
2. Ellen Elaine Featherston – b. 11 Apr 1941 Ripley Co., MO; m. 11 Jun 1960 Ripley Co., MO to Lawrence Alien Boston – b. 10 Nov 1938 Sangamon Co., IL
3. Sally Louise Featherston – b. 27 Sep 1947 Butler Co.. MO; m.l) 17 Mar 1967 Butler Co.. MO to Larry Dale Gillis – b. 5 Sep 1941 Butler Co., MO; m.2) 13 Jan 1978 Butler Co.. MO to Jerry Wayne Boyd – b. 22 Jun 1945 Ector, TX
IX Charles Ronald “Ron” Featherston – b. 30 Dec 1938 Ripley Co., MO; m.l) 9 Jun 1961 Ft. Belvoir, VA to Alana Rogers – 12 Aug 1941 Butler Co.. MO; m.2) 9 Sep 1983 Butler Co., MO to Allie Kay (Frick) James; m.3) 14 Sep 1985 Butler Co., MO to Joann Virginia (Garrison) Weber – b. 12 Nov 1941 Butler Co., MO
1. Deri Lynn Featherston – b. 21 Feb 1965 Iberia Parish, LA; m. 18 Dec 1984 Harris Co., TX to Richard Craig Terry – b. 21 Nov 1963 Orange? Co., CA
1. Richard Alan “Ricky” Terry – b. 12 Dec 1987 Montgomery Co., TX
2. Lara Andrea Featherston – b. 21 Feb 1967 Iberia Parish, LA
submitted by: C.R. (Ron) Featherston
Vol. 2. Page 24
I Martin Featherston – m. Mary
*1. Martin Featherston – b. 1 Nov 1821 Ardagh, County Galway, Ireland
II Martin Featherston – b. 1 Nov 1821 Ardagh, County Galway, Ireland d. 10 May 1888 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA; immigrated 1 Jun 1842, naturalized 13 Aug 1852 Boston, Suffolk Co.. MA; m. 10 May 1888 Boston, Suffolk Co.. MA to Mary Callan – b. Ireland; immigrated about 1850
*1. Michael E. Featherstone – b. 29 Dec 1850 Brighton, Suffolk Co., MA
2. Rose Featherston – b. 2 Oct 1854 Brighton, Suffolk Co.. MA
3. Edward Featherston – b. 22 Sep 1860 Brighton, Suffolk Co., MA
4. Charles Martin Featherston – b. 15 Oct 1865 Brighton, Suffolk Co. MA
III Michael E. Featherstone – b. 29 Dec 1850 Brighton, Suffolk Co., MA, d. 1933, bur. Holyhood Cem., Brookline, Suffolk Co., MA; carpenter; m. 26 Apr 1874 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA to Catherine Flynn – b. 18 Jan 1855 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA, d. 30 Jun 1912 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA, bur. Holyhood Cem. Brookline, Suffolk Co., MA; d/o Patrick Flynn/Alice
1. Alice J. Featherstone – b. 1875, d. 1967. bur. Holyhood Cem., Broolline, Suffolk Co., MA; never married
2. Mary Featherstone – b. 28 Aug 1877 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA
*3. Edward Francis Featherston – b. 12 Dec 1879 Boston. Suffolk Co.. MA
4. Josephine Featherstone – b. 1882, d. 1928. bur. Holyhood Cem., Brookline, Suffolk Co., MA; never married
5. Stella M. Featherstone – b. 1896, d. 1988, bur. Holyhood Cem., Brookline, Suffolk Co., MA; never married
IV Edward Francis Featherston – b. 12 Dec 1879 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA. d. 9 Jan 1957 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA. bur. St. Joseph’s Cem.. Boston, Suffolk Co., MA; Fireman; m. 4 May 1904 Brookline, Suffolk Co., MA to Blanche M. Keegan – b. 10 Oct 1881 Brookline, Suffolk Co., MA, d. 11 Jan 1956 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA. bur. St. Joseph’s Cem., Boston, Suffolk Co., MA; d/o John Keegan/Margaret J. McLaughlin
1. Edward Francis Featherston – b. 27 Sep 1905 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA, d. 10 Dec 1905 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA, bur. St. Joseph’s Cem., Boston, Suffolk Co., MA
2. Margaret Katherine Featherston – b. 1907 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA. d. about 1988; m. Mr. Brosnihan
3. Catherine Elizabeth Featherston – b. 1909 Boston. Suffolk Co.. MA; m. Louis Guthrie
*4. Edward Francis Featherston II – b. 10 Feb 1914 Boston, Suffolk Co.. MA
5. Mary Modesta Featherston – b. 1915 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA
6. Anna Grace Featherston – b. 1920 Boston. Suffolk Co.. MA. d. Jan 1989 Allston. Suffolk Co., MA; m. Herbert Miller cont…
Vol. 2. Page 25
BRANCH #6 – cont…
V Edward Francis Featherston II – b. 10 Feb 1914 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA, d. 1 Jan 1982 Framingham, Middlesex Co., MA; m.l) Claudia Brosnihan; m.2) 14 Feb 1945 Seagirt, NJ to Dorothy Elizabeth Reynolds – b. 9 Jun 1923 Waltham. Middlesex Co., MA, d/o Walter Kenneth Reynolds/Mary Celia Flynn; m.3) Evelyn ?
Issue by 1st wife;
1. Edward Robert Featherston – b. 11 Dec 1935 Waltham, Middlesex Co. MA
Issue by 2nd wife:
2. MaryAnn Featherston – b. 7 Mar 1950 Waltham, Middlesex Co.. MA; m. 23 Jun 1968 Wayland. Middlesex Co.. MA to Mark Howard Kaplan
*3. Edward Francis Featherston III – b. 1 Jul 1955 Everett. Suffolk Co., MA
VI Edward Frances Featherston III – b. 1 Jul 1955 Everett. Suffolk Co., MA; m. 1 Oct 1988 Milford, Worcester Co.. MA; m. Joanne Rota – b. 23 May 1961 Milford, Worcester Co., MA, d/o Melvin Louis Rota/Lucia Evelyn Blasio
submitted Sept 1990 by:
Edward F. Featherston
Would like to know parentage of Anne Green, b. 1797 Charlotte Co., VA, daughter of Benj; mar. 18 Jan 1814 to Jeremiah Featherston. Benj. died 1841 Franklin Co., KY.
Looking for West Coast Featherston’s that migrated from Mass. in 1840’s and may have been part of the Gold Rush.