Although somewhat delayed because of the holidays and various events in our household during late 1991, FEATHERSTON FINDINGS, Volume 7 is now complete and in your hands. Our success comes from each of you who are supporting this work by submitting your Featherston research material and purchasing our booklets.
A few of you have copied Featherston(e) names from telephone directories and submitted those names that I may contact them about our publication. Some of those individuals may not be interested in this series, but it is a means of letting others know of this work. Have you checked your local phone book for Featherston(e) names?
Have you submitted your Featherston information or Branch for publication? If not, please let me urge you to do so. Recently, a DAR application was submitted to your editor showing a lineage of Thomas Sadler and Rebecca Featherstone. One name on that list caught my attention and is, I believe, my husband’s great-great grandfather!
Information in your files may not be of interest to you personally, but possibly may help some one else locate their Featherston ancestry.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for helping to make this series a success.
Happy Ancestor Hunting in 1992!
Joyce Featherston Hawkins
FEATHERSTON FINDINGS – VOLUME 7
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Nottoway County. Virginia Order Book 5, 1806-1809 Page 1
Nottoway County, Virginia Order Book 6, 1809-181 Page 4
Index to Probate Records in Memphis, Shelby Co., Tenn. Archives
Henrico County, Virginia Deed book 1744-1748 Page 5
Chesterfield County, Virginia Will Book 3 Page 6
Family of Thomas Sadler and Rebecca Featherstone Page 7
Featherston Death Records in Massachusetts 1841-1895 Page 9
1860 Caldwell County, Kentucky Census Index Page 12
1860 Fayette County, Kentucky Census
Branches #1, #3 & #5. Page 13
Queries Page 25
NOTTOWAY COUNTY, VIRGINIA ORDER BOOK 5 1806-1809
Nottoway County Court May 1st 1806
Lewis Featherstun Compit vs In chancery
Burwell Peatherstun, Executor of Charles Featherstun deed and John Jones and Burwell Featherstun Executors of Lew. Clarke Deceased dfts
On hearing the bill and answer, it is decreed & ordered that the dft Burwell Featherstun as surviving Executor of Burwell Featherstun deed pay unto the compit the sum of twenty five pounds with interest thereon from the first day of May 1792 till paid and that the dft as Exors of Lew Clarke deed who was Exor of Charles Featherstun deed pay unto the said compit the said sum of twenty five pounds with interest from the first day of May 1792 till paid and that the costs of this suit be equally apportioned between the parties
John Jones and Burwell Featherstun Exors of Lew Clarke Complts vs In chancery
Charles Wilson John E. Tucker and Polly his wife and Ann Clarke adm. of William Clarke deed & John W., Thomas E., Lucy S., Rebecca and William A. Clarke by Ann Clarke their special guardian Dfts
On the motion of the complts to amend the decree entered in this cause last court it is decreed and ordered that the same be amended in this, that the complts make sale of a sufficiency of the estate of Lew Clarke deed to raise the sum of one hundred and forty two pounds ten shillings and that they make sale of negroes to the amount of one hundred and three pounds and of perishable property to the amt of thirty nine pounds ten shillings being the proportion as in the former decree and that they proceed accordingly
p. 260 – At a Court held for Nottoway County 3 Sept. 1807
Lewis Featherstun Compit In ch__?
Burwell Featherstun, Elizabeth Clarke, John Vaughn & Lucy his wife Jesse Featherstun & the heirs of Richard Featherstun deed dfts.
This day came the Compit by E. Bland his Att. & filed his bill in this ____ ____ his motion & it appearing to the satisfaction of the Court that the Deft Jesse Featherstun & heirs of Richard Featherstun deed are not inhabitants of this Commonwealth by they having failed to enter their appearance & give security agreeably to an act of assembly & the rules of this Court It is considered & ordered by the Court, that the said Ditto appear here at the next December Court and ____ the bill of the Compit & that a copy of this order
Nottoway County, Virginia Order Book 5 1806-1809 (cont.)
be forthwith inserted for two months succeeding in some newspaper printed in the Town of Petersburg, and posted at the front door of the courthouse of this county
p. 273 – At a Court held for Nottoway County the seventh day of November 1807 Lewis Featherstun Compit Burwell Featherstun, Elizabeth Clarke, John Vaughn & Lucy his In ch__ wife Jesse Featherstun, Lewis Featherstun, Richard Featherstun, Sarah Featherstun, Frankey Featherstun & Jeremiah and Martha Still children of Francis Still deceased Defts
This day came the Compit by E. Bland his att; and it appearing to the satisfaction of the Court that the Defts Jesse Featherstun & Lewis, Richard, Sarah and Frankey Featherstun children of Richard Featherstun deed & Jeremiah & Martha Still are not inhabitants of this Commonwealth, & they not having entered their appearance and given Security agreeably to an act of Assembly & the rules of this Court, On the motion of the compit by his Consent It is entered & ordered that the said Defts appear here at March next and answer the bill of the Compit and that a copy of this Order be forthwith inserted for two months successively in some public newspaper printed in the Town of Petersburg and posted at the front door of the Courthouse of this County, and it is further decreed & ordered that the bill of the Compit be taken for ____? and the matter thereof ____? as to the defts Burwell Featherstun, Elizabeth Clarke, & John Vaughn & Lucy his wife unless the said Defts appear here and file their answers to the Compit bill at the next Court after been ten days previously ___? with a copy of this decree
p. 300 – February 4th 1808
see file 273 Lewis Featherstun Compit
Burwell Featherstun & others Defts
This day came the Compit by E. Bland his Att: on his motion It is decreed & ordered that the bill of the compit be taken for con & the matter thereof decreed, as to the resident defendants, unless they appear here & anser the compit said bill at the next Court after having been ten days previously
served with a copy of this decree
Nottoway County, Virginia Order Book 5 1806-1809 (cont.)
p. 311 – At a court held for Nottoway County 4th March 1808
Lewis Featherstun Compit vs In chy.
Burwell Featherstun, Elizabeth Clarke, John Vaughan & Lucy his wife Jesse Featherstun, Lewis Featherstun, Richard Featherstun, Sarah Featherstun, Frankey Featherstun, & Jeremiah & Martha Still, children of Frances Still deed Defts
This day came the Compit by Edwd. Bland his atto; & it appearing to the satisfaction of the court that the order of publication heretofore entered in this case hath been duly published and the Absent Defts Jesse, Lewis. Richard & Sarah Featherstun and Jeremiah & Martha Still having failed to enter their appearance in this suit to give security agreeably to law and the rules of this Court. On the motion of the said attorney it is decreed & ordered that the bill of the Compit be taken as confessed by the said absent defendants and the matter thereof decreed against them.
p. 488, 489
At a court held for Nottoway County on Thursday, the fifth day of October one thousand eight hundred and nine
Present Francis Fitzgerald Edmund Irby & Gentlemen Justices Richard Epes John A. Robertson
A deed from Lewis Featherstun to Richard Epes was proven by the oath of two witnesses which is ordered to be certified. Lewis Featherstun Compit In chy
Burwell Featherstun, Elizabeth Clarke, John Vaughan and Lucy his wife Jesse Featherstun and the heirs of Richard Featherstun deceased Dft In chy
This case came on to be heard on the motion of the Compit and with the absent of the resident defendants, whose certificates are filed in this court and seen by the Court, a final decree having hitherto made against the non resident defendt. the court doth decree and order that the forty two acres of land in the bill mentioned is the right and property in fee simple of the Complainant and decree of the same to him in fee simple and that the said defendants, if required by the Compit do release all right and title in and to the said Tract of land, to the Complainant and each party pay their own costs.
NOTTOWAY COUNTY, VIRGINIA ORDER BOOK 6, 1809-1812
At a court of Quarterly sessions held for Nottoway Co….Thur 5 Nov 1812
A deed from John Basebeach, Jr. & his wife to Lewis Featherstun was proven by the oaths of James Eckles Jr. & William Pollard
INDEX TO PROBATE RECORDS IN MEMPHIS, SHELBY COUNTY. TENNESSEE ARCHIVES
from “ANSEARCHIN”‘ NEWS Vol. 37 #2. p. 72 (Summer 1990)
Year File# Name ID
1845 183 Featherstone/un. Lewis Deceased
1845 183 Jones, William A Admr & Gdn
1845 183 Featherstone. Lewis H Son
1845 183 Featherstone, John P Son minor
1845 183 Cole, James N Lewis Featherstone, Gdn.
1845 183 Cole, John A. Lewis Featherstone, Gdn
1845 183 Pursell. John H Doctor
1845 183 Jones, Lewis F. Legatee, Minor
1845 183 Jones, Sarah F Minor
1845 183 Jones, William T Minor
1845 183 Featherston, Susan Dau
1845 183 Featherstone. Hariet
1845 183 Featherstone, Pat
note by editor – JFH: The above probate record was ordered by Brenda Fischler. It is a very lengthy document, and very difficult to read. The record was transcribed for us by Mrs. I.D. Oakley and will be presented in future issues of FEATHERSTON FINDINGS. Thank you ladies for your help. The following notes were made by Brenda Fischler regarding these records.
This list omits “George Featherston”. In 1844 O.D. Watson bills for quinine “for your son George”; in Sept. 1845 Dr. Moore billed for various “visits to George and attention during night”; Sept. 20, 1845 W.R. Smith billed $25 “pine coffing for young Featherston”; he charged $7.00 for “case (for coffin]”. I assume it was George who died because all those nights he required Dr. Moore’s attention. Isn’t it odd that the volunteers preparing this probated index overlooked George entirely!
They identify Susan as a daughter and she is listed as “daughter” in one of the dry goods accounts. Harriet is listed but not identified. …Hariet’s purchases amounting to $73.29 on the J. Fowkes account, but not actually called daughter, though both Harriet and Susan must have been daughters of
Notes regarding Index to Probate Records in Memphis, Shelby Co., TN (cont.)
Lewis Featherston as well as Martha L. Featherston who married Wm. A. Jones, Adm. & Guardian of Lewis F., Sarah F., and Wm. T. Jones, Dec. 1. 1842. Marrying late in 1842 doesn’t give Martha much time to bear three children by 1845. If Martha is the mother of Lewis, Sarah, & Wm. T. Jones she may have died after the birth of the 3rd child (Martha isn’t listed anywhere in the papers) or of course it is possible there was an earlier Jones-Featherston marriage between the father of Lewis, Sarah, Wm. T. and a 4th daughter of Lewis Featherston…
1845 was a big year in this family; Susan married Wm. P. Bradley June 23, 1845 and Harriet married W.G. Wynne June 26, 1845. When in 1845 did Lewis die?
…Nowhere did I see mention of a widow. In 1840 the census showed the presence of a 50-60 year old female, the same age as the oldest male in the household. It would seem that Mrs. Lewis Featherston probably died between 1840 and 1845.
submitted by: Brenda G. Fischler
HENRICO COUNTY, VIRGINIA DEED BOOK 1744-1748, p. 24 ff.
This indenture made this twenty eighth day of September in the year of our Lord One Thousand seven Hundred and forty seven between .Charles Featherstone of the Parish of Dale and County of Henrico of the one part and Henry Featherstone of the Parish County aforesaid of the other part Witnesseth that the said Charles Featherstone for and in consideration of the sum of fifty Pounds Current Money of Virginia to him in hand paid by the said Henry Featherstone before the ensealing and Delivery of these presents the receipt thereof said Charles Featherstone doth hereby Acknowledge He, the said Charles Featherstone hath Granted Bargained Sold Aliened Released and Confirmed and by these presents doth Grant Bargain Sell Alien Release and Confirm unto the said Henry Featherstone his Heirs and Assigns for Ever A certain Tract or parcel of Land Situate Lying and Being on the Northside of Timsbury Swamp in the Parish and County aforesaid containing by Estimation three Hundred Acres be the same more or less Beginning at a Red Oak Corner of Henry Randolph’s Land running thence South South West Sixty Pole to a Gum in a Slash thence South West one Hundred and Eighty Eight Pole to a live Oak on the Northside of Timsbury Swamp thence up the Swamp as it Meanders to a live Oak on the Northside thereof thence North forty nine Degrees East two Hundred and twenty Pole to a Hicory in Charles Featherstones Line thence South East half East one hundred and Sixty Eight Pole to the Beginning It being part of a Tract of Land containing Seven hundred and Twenty Acres formerly belonging to Henry Charles Featherstone and from him descend to his Son Charles Featherstone party to these presents And all the Estate Right Title Interest Claim and Demand whatsoever of the Said Charles Featherstone in and to the Same or any part or parcel thereof and the Reversion & Reversions Remainder and Remainders with
Henrico Co., VA Deed Book 1744-1748 (cont.)
their and every of their Apurtenances TO HAVE AND TO HOLD the said Land and Premises and all and Singular their Appurtenances hereby intended to be granted sold & Confirmed unto the Said Henry Featherstone his Heirs and Assigns for ever to be held of our Sovereign Lord the King his Heirs and Successors by the Quit rents Accustomed and the Said Charles Featherstone his Heirs Executors & Administrators the said hereby Granted and released Premised & every part and parcel thereof with their Appurtenances unto the said Henry Featherstone his Heirs and Assignes for ever against the said Charles Featherstone his Heirs and Assignes and all other persons whatsoever shall and will warrent and for ever Defend by these presents IN WITNESS whereof the said Charles Featherstone hath hereunto set his hand and Seal the Day and year first above written.
Signed Sealed and Delivered in presence of
Test Henry Randolph Grief Randolph Benjamin (X) Ratliff
MEMORANDUM that on the Day and year within written Quiet and peaceful possession & Seizen of the land & Premises within mentioned was delivered and given by the within Named Charles Featherstone to the with Named Henry Featherstone according to the form and Effect of the with Written Deed in presence of us whose Names are hereunder Written.
Test Henry Randolph Grief Randolph Benjamin (X) Ratliff
At a Court held for Henrico County the first Monday in November 1747.
Charles Fatherston Acknowledged this Deed with the Livery of Seisin Endorsed to Henry Fatherston to be his act and Deed which was Ordered to be recorded.
CHESTERFIELD COUNTY. VIRGINIA WILL BOOK 3. p. 70
IN THE NAME OF GOD AMEN I Charles Featherstone of the county of Chesterfield and parish of Dale do make and ordain this my Last will and Testament first I give my Soul to God that made it and my body to the earth to be buried in a Christian like manner.
ITEM I give and bequeath unto my son Henry Featherstone the land and plantation whereon I now live and five negroes Peter, Jeney, Jack, Judey, Yourk, to him his heirs or assigns forever and also one wheat fan,
ITEM I give and bequeath unto my son Edward Featherstone, six negroes Frank, Brister, James, Faney, and her two children and increase, one yoke of oxen one ten gallon pott one wheat sive to him and his heirs or assigns forever,
ITEM, I give and bequeath unto my son Charles Featherstone two negroes and
Chesterfield Co., VA Will Book 3 (cont.)
their Increase namely John, Sarah, to him and his heirs or assigns forever,
ITEM, I give and bequeath unto the estate of Thomas Walthall Deceased one negro wench Patt and her Increase to be equally divided according to his will to them and their heirs or assigns forever.
ITEM I give and bequeath to my Daughter Elizabeth Walthall one negroe Cloe, one spice morter, one Sorel mare to her and her heirs or assigns forever,
ITEM I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Phebey Featherstone five negroes Will, Bidey, Dafney, Soney, Hannah, one bay horse one sorel filley one coper cittle one pair of flatt Irons one Desk two trunks one pewter Dish and all the earthen waier to her and her heirs or assigns forever.
ITEM. I give and bequeath unto grandson Charles Featherstone son of Henry Featherstone two negroes Filles and Tom, one round table to him and his heirs or assigns forever.
ITEM I give and bequeath unto my five children Henry, Charles, Edward, Elizabeth, Phebey all the residue of my estate of what nature or kind soever to them to be equally Divided to them or their heirs forever, I Desire no appraisement to be taken nor no securely to be taken of the executors I leave my two sons Henry Featherstone and Edward Executors to this my last will this 13th Day of November 1778.
Signed sealed In the presence of
Jesse Cogbill Charles Feathestone (LS)
Date of probate not shown
Family of Thomas Sadler and Rebecca Featherstone
Thomas Sadler – b. 1715/19 VA, d. aft. 25 Jul 1796 Brunswick Co., VA; m. 1737/8 Brunswick or Henrico Co.. VA to Rebecca Featherstone – b. 1720-23 Henrico Co., VA. d. 1796-99 Brunswick Co.. VA, d/o Henry Charles Featherstone/Elizabeth Walthall.
1. Thomas Sadler. Jr. – b. 1738-39 Brunswick Co.. VA, d. 1794-95 Brunswick Co., VA; m. 1764-65 Brunswick Co.. VA to Martha Rose
1. William Rose Sadler – b. 14 Dec 1765 Brunswick Co., VA, d. 25 Dec 1829 Jefferson Co., AL; m. 3 May 1791 Lincoln Co., NC to Nancy Tucker Moreland
2. Bartley Sadler – b. 17 Jan 1769 VA, d. 1805 AL
3. Nathaniel Milton Sadler – b. 1772 VA. d. 1853, AL; m. 29 Mar 1796 NC to Phoebe Tucker Moreland
4. Lucy Sadler – b. 1774 VA; m. 7 Apr 1802 NC to Isaac Alexander
5. Thomas Sadler III – b. 1777 VA; m. 1800-05 NC to Lucy Williams
6. Anderson Sadler – b. 1779-80 VA; m.l) 1809 to Rebecca Blythe; m.2) 1819 to Nancy Walker
Family of Thomas Sadler and Rebecca Featherstone (cont.)
7. Martha “Patsy” Rose Sadler – b. 1781-82 VA; m. 1800-02 NC to Richard Rockette II
2. Elizabeth Sadler – b. 1739-40 Brunswick Co., VA; m. 1758-59 to John Bennett
3. Henry Sadler – b. ca. 1741-42 Brunswick Co., VA, d. 1822 Lincoln Co., NC; m. 1770 to Mary Scarborougn. 6 children. Could Henry have mar. 2nd Elizabeth Carpenter on 14 Jun 1791?
1. James Sadler –
2. Zachariah Sadler –
3. Eliza Sadler –
4. Fanny Sadler –
5. Mary Sadler –
6. Sarah Sadler –
4. Susanna Sadler – b. 1745 Brunswick Co., VA, d. 25 Dec 1784 Brunswick Co., VA; m. 1759-60 Brunswick Co., VA to Timothy Ward
5. Charles Sadler – b. 1748-49 Brunswick Co., VA, d. 1826 Brunswick Co.. VA; m. 1775-77 Brunswick Co., VA to Rhoda Bailey. 6 children.
1. Sarah Sadler – b. 31 Aug 1778, d. 19 Jan 1796
2. Benjamin Sadler – b. 14 May 1780, d. 1 Nov 1788
3. John Smith Sadler – b. 17 Feb 1782
4. Merianna Sadler – b. 24 Jul 1785, d. 20 Oct 1788
5. Rebecca Sadler – b. 9 Jan 1787
6. Miriam Sadler – b. 2 Mar 1792
6. Fanny Sadler – b. 1752-53 Brunswick Co., VA; m. 1770-71 Brunswick Co., VA to John Dugger
7. Featherstone Sadler – b. 1755-56 Brunswick Co., VA, d. 1854; m.l) 1772-75 Brunswick Co., VA ____?; m.2) 8 Oct 1823 to Catherine Lewis, d/o Ruel Lewis/SiIvy Abernathy
Note by submitter: Thomas, Jr.. Susanna and Fanny not named in Thomas, Sr.’s will, but it is assumed he is their father – Featherstone Sadler (brother) witnessed Thomas, Jr.’s will. Thomas, Jr. d. 3 yrs. before Thomas Sr.
Sources: Thomas Sadler, Sr.’s will – Will Bk. 6. 1795-1804 p. 645-46, Brunswick Co., VA; Howard W. McKinney; Martha Rose Sadler Will, D & D 4 Oct 1803 Lincoln Co., NC; Encyclopedia of Quaker Gen. of VA by Wm. W. Henshaw, pg. 120; Ruta Liggett; p. 218, Mecklenberg Co., NC Mar. Recs., LDS, SLC, UT; Randy Dugger.
submitted by Ms. June M. Millwood
Featherston Death Records in Massachusetts 1841-1895
What follows is a list compiled from the Massachusetts Vital Records.
The records are on microfilm and can be found at the New England Historical Genealogical Society Library, 101 Newbury Street, Boston, MA. The page and volume for each death record are supplied for reference. All the information that was available in the record is reproduced here.
Some towns provided more info than others. Some handwriting was difficult to read, so you will see ? and (sp?) where I was unsure.
Featherstone, Mary C.; November 18, 1846 in Stoneham, MA; Age:36; Cause: Comsumption; Place of Birth:Landaff. NH; Spouse:Theodore Featherstone; Source:Page 55, Volume 21
Featherstone. (male); October 23, 1851 in Dighton, MA; Age:l day; Place of Birth:Dighton, MA; Parents:Mary P. & Thomas Featherstone; Source;Page 58, Volume 57
Featherstone, Mary P.; October 26, 1851 in Dighton, MA; Age:23 years 4 months; Cause:Dropsy on the heart; Place of Birth:Dighton, MA; Parents:Seth & Sally Talbot; Spouse: Thomas Featherstone; Source.-Page 58, Volume 57
Fetherston. Edward; November 22, 1851 in Haverhill, MA; Age:23; Cause:Typhus Fever; Place of Birth:England; Parents:Amos & Louisa Fetherston; Source: Page 122, Volume 57
Featherston, John W.; March 19, 1854 in Roxbury. MA (East Street); Age:9 years 7 months; Cause:Consumption; Place of Birth:Ireland; Parents:William & Maria Featherston; Source:Page 176, Volume 85
Featherston, Jas; July 9, 1861 in Waltham, MA; Age:41; Place of Birth:Ireland; Parents:John, Mary Orhni(sp?); Source:Page 200, Volume 148
Fetherston, Thomas; July 2, 1863, buried in Hopkinton, MA; Age:19 years 7 months 22 days; Cause:Kilied in battle (Antietam); Place of Birth:Ireland; Parents:Thomas & Jane Source:Page 90, Volume 166
Featherston, Jane; January 20, 1865 in Hopkinton, MA; Age:42; Cause: Consumption; Place of Birth:Ireland; Parents:Thos(sic) & Bridget; Source:Page 85, Volume 184
Featherston, Mary J.; December 22, 1866 in Hopkinton. MA; Age:l year 6 months; Cause:Croup; Place of Birth:Hopkinton, MA; Parents:Michael & Sarah; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 129, Volume 193
Featherstone, Mary Ann; December 22, 1866 in Charlton, MA; Age:l year 6 months; Cause:Whoop ing Cough; Place of Birth:Charlton, MA; Parents: Michael & Sarah Featherstone; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source: Page 179, Volume 194
Featherston, Edward; February 13, 1867 in Brighton, MA; Age:6 years 4 months 22 days; Cause: Drowning; Place of Birth:Brighton, MA; Parents-.Mart in & Mary (Call an); Source:Page 84, Volume 203
Featherstone, James; March 27, 1867 in Fall River, MA (60 Fountain St.); Age: 5 months 5 days; Cause;Canker in mouth; Place of Birth:Fall River,MA; Parents:James, (?)Dolan; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 76, Volume 202
Featherstone, Edward; November 13, 1867 in Fall River, MA (60 Fountain St.); Age:l year 13 days; Cause:Lultriny(sp?); Place of Birth:Fall River, MA; Parents:James, M(?)Dolan; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 89, Volume 202
Featherston Death Records in Massachusetts 1841-1895 (cont.)
Featherstone, (Male); October 6, 1869 in Fall River, MA (60 Fountain St.); Age:0 days; Cause:Still Born; Place of BirthiFall River, MA; Parents: James, Meary; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 109. Volume 220
Featherston, Ann; June 12, 1870 in Hopkinton, MA; Age:4 days; Cause;Jaundice; Place of Birth:Hopkinton, MA; Parents:Michael & Cera(sic); Source:Page 144, Volume 230
Featherstone, (Male); November 6, 1870 in Fall River, MA (60 Fountain St.); Age:0 days; Cause:Still Born; Place of Birth:Fall River. MA; Parents: James, Meary; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 105, Volume 229
Note: This entry was marked with an X in the records and was an
exact duplicate of an entry for October 6, 1769 (see previously)
Featherstone, Mary; March 4, 1871 in Brighton, MA; Age:45; Cause:Not Given; Place of Birth:Ireland; Parents:? Callan & Rose Callan; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 267, Volume 303
Fetherston, Margaret (Bond); May 8, 1873 in Boston, MA (26 Dorchester St.); Age:35; Cause:Puerp(sp?) Peritonitis; Place of Birth:St. Johns, N.B.; Parents:John, Catharine; Spouse:Thomas; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 98, Volume 258
Featherstone, Phillip; May 16, 1873 in Hopkinton, MA; Age:5 years 9 months; Cause:Croup; Place of Birth:Hopkinton. MA; Parents:James & Anna; Parents Place of Birth;Ireland; Source:Page 166, Volume 257
Featherstone. John; May 29, 1873 in Boston, MA (St. Ann’s Infant Asylum); Age:29 days; Cause:Tabes Mesenterica (sp?); Place of Birth:Boston, MA; Parents:John; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 111, Volume 258
Featherstone, Mary A.; June 9, 1873 in Fall River, MA; Age:5 years 10 days; Cause:Spinal Fever; Place of Birth:Fall River, MA; Parents:James & Mary; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 108, Volume 256
Featherstone, Julia; June 14. 1873 in Hopkinton, MA; Age:4 years 5 months; Cause:Ulcer in blood; Place of Birth:Hopkinton, MA; Parents:James & Anne; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 166, Volume 257
Featherston, Robert; May 26, 1874 in Marblehead, MA (at sea); Age:31; Cause: Drowning; Place of Birth:Boston, MA; Parents:William & Mary A.; Parents Place of Birth:England; Marital Status:Married; Occupation:Mariner; Source:Page 235, Volume 265
Featherston, Hetty L.; May 26, 1874 in Marblehead, MA (at sea); Age:31; Cause: Drowning; Place of Birth:Marblehead, MA; Parents:Richard & Mary H. Mitchell; Parents Place of Birth:Marblehead, MA; Marital Status: Married; Source:Page 235, Volume 265
Featherston, Michael; June 3 1874 in Fall River, MA (52 Fountain St.); Age:9 years 11 months 28 days; Cause-.White L(?)y(sp?); Place of Birth:Fall River, MA; Parents:James & Maria; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source: Page 85. Volume 265
Fetherston, Joseph; June 24, 1876 in Boston, MA (City Hospital); Age:26; Cause:Phitisis; Place of Birth:Rhode Island; Parents:James & Katharine; Parents Place of Birth;England; Marital Status;Single; Source:Page 144, Volume 285
Featherston, Bridget (Madden); August 9, 1877 in Waltham, MA; Age:53 years 10 days; CausesDropsey; Place of Birth:Ireland; Parents;Edward & Mary; Parents Place of Birth; Ireland; Marital Status-.Widowed; Source:Page 222, Volume 293
Featherston Death Records in Massachusetts 1841-1895 (cont.)
Featherston, Mary; September 1. 1877 in Boston. MA (No. Beacon St.); Age:4 days; Cause:Convulsions; Place of Birth:Boston. MA; Parents:Michael & Catherine; Parents Place of Birth:Brighton, MA. Boston. MA; Source:Page 184, Volume 294
Featherstone. (Male); January 24. 1879 in Fall River, MA (22 Plain St.); Age: 0 days; Cause:Still Born; Place of Birth:Fall River, MA; Parents:Edward & Mary; Source:Page 84, Volume 310
Featherstone. Michael; June 28, 1879 in Hopkinton, MA; Age: 38; Cause: Consumption; Place of Birth:Hopkinton. MA; Parents:James & Jane Featherstone; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Marital Status:Widowed; Occupation:Boot Maker; Source:Page 85, Volume 311
Fetherston, Annie V.; December 2, 1879 in Boston, MA (299 Dorchester St.); Age:16 years 11 months 14 days; Cause:Phthisis; Place of Birth:Ireland; Parents:Thomas & Esther; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 167, Volume 303
Featherston, Mary; February 2. 1881 in North Adams, MA; Age:40; Cause: Pneumonia; Place of Birth:Ireland; Parents:Timothy & Kate Farrell; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 47. Volume 328
Fetherston, Essie M.; August 4, 1881 in Boston. MA (51 Newman St.); Age:42 years 11 months 21 days; Cause:Comsumption; Place of Birth:Ireland; Parents:James & Eliza; Marital Status:Married; Parents Place of Birth: Ireland; Source:Page 185, Volume 330
Fethersten, Mary A; February 7. 1882 in Boston. MA; Age: 42; Cause:Brights Disease; Place of Birth:Boston. MA; Parents:James & Bridget; Marital Status:Married; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 34.Volume 339
Featherston, Jane (Booth); December 23, 1884 in Taunton, MA; Age:78 years 1 month 23 days; Cause:paralysis; Place of Birth:England; Parents:John & Betsy; Marital Status: Widowed; Parents Place of Birth.-England; Source: Page 164, Volume 355
Featherston, Sarah R.; July 18, 1885 in Boston, MA (112 Tyier St.); Age:l year 24 days; Cause:Chol Infantum (sic); Place of Birth:Boston, MA; Parents; John & Julia; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 203, Volume 366
Featherston, John; December 28, 1885 in Boston, MA (264 Athens St.); Age-,46; Cause:Phthisis, 1 yr; Place of Birth:Not Given; Parents:Edward; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Marital Status:Widowed; Occupation:Machinist; Source:Page 366, Volume 352
Featherston, James; January 9. 1886 in Fall River. MA (52 Fountain St.); Age: 49; Cause:Diarrhea; Place of Birth:Ireland; Parents:Michael & Bridget; Marital Status:Married; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Occupation: Grocer; Source:Page 92, Volume 373
Featherstone, Mary; September 18, 1886 in Boston, MA (264 Athens St.); Age: 19; Cause:Phthisis. Pul Asthenia; Place of Birth:Boston. MA; Parents:
John, & Mary; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland, Boston, MA; Source:Page 255,
Featherston, Thomas; January 2. 1887 in Boston, MA (St. Mary Infant Asylum); Age:l month 14 days; Cause:Diarrhea; Place of Birth:Boston. MA; Parents: Mary; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 23, Volume 384
Featherston Death Records in Massachusetts 1841-1895 (cont.)
Featherston, Martin; May 10, 1888 in Boston. MA; Age:67 years 6 months 9 days; Cause: Septicaemia, Senile Gangrene; Place of Birth:Ireland; Parents: Martin & Mary; Marital Status: Widowed; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 167. Volume 393
Featherston. Ann; December 21. 1888 in Fall River. MA; Age:63; Cause:Heart Disease; Place of Birth-.Ireland; Parents: Patrick & Ann; Marital Status: Widowed; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 129. Volume 391
Featherstone. George; January 2. 1889 in Pittsfield, MA; Age:17 years 7 months 23 days; Cause:Disease of heart; Place of Birth:Pittsfield. MA; Parents:John & Mary; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 122, Volume 400
Featherston. John J.; February 1. 1889 in Clinton, MA; Age:22 years 7 months; Cause:Acute Phthisis; Place of Birth:PennsyIvania; Parents:Patrick & Ellen; Marital Status:Single; Parents Place of Birth:Massachusetts, Ireland; Source:Page 474, Volume 402
Featherstone, John T.; May 2. 1890 in Fall River. MA; Age:38 years 8 months 22 days; Cause:Chr Diarrhea; Place of Birth:England; Parents:John & Ann; Parents Place of Birth:Ireland; Source:Page 120, Volume 409
submitted by: Edward F. Featherston
1860 Caldwell County. Kentucky Census Index
A. Featherston p. 40 Princeton
1860 Fayette County, Kentucky Census
Jessy Featherston 28 R.R. Brakeman IRE
Kate Featherston 20 IRE
? Featherston 3/12 KY
Robert Featherston 57 VA
Elizabeth Featherston 52 KY
Charles Featherston 25 KY
Elizabeth Featherston 21 KY
John Featherston 19 KY
Milo Featherston 17 KY
Sue Featherston 15 KY
Warren Featherston 12 KY
Oscar Featherston 10 , KY
E. Featherston(f) 88 VA
Wm. Featherston 28 Grocer KY
Margaret Featherston 19 KY
Wm. Featherston 1/12 KY
The BRANCHES section of FEATHERSTON FINDINGS presents an opportunity for all of those interested in our heritage to record our direct descent.
These BRANCHES are not confined to the spelling of Featherston, but may also include Featherstone, Featherstun, etc. If you have not yet sent in your BRANCH, please do so as soon as possible. I encourage you to take advantage of this FREE SERVICE.
These BRANCHES will be published in the order in which they are received or at my discretion. Every effort will be made to transcribe material exactly as it is submitted. However, if errors occur in this transcription process, please let me know, so I can make corrections in a future volume. If, while typing your lineage for publication, there is a doubt as to the spelling of your surname, the spelling of Featherston will be used.
These BRANCHES may be added to or corrected in future volumes. Therefore, it is not necessary to wait until you have completed your research before submitting your lineage for publication. Although we all may have best intentions of permanently recording our findings, too often the family historian passes away or becomes too ill to continue research work and those years of research are lost forever.
By publishing your BRANCH and research material in FEATHERSTON FINDINGS you not only protect your family information, but help future researchers find their elusive family heritage. You may submit your lineage in the form found in this section or you may submit the information on Family Group Sheets. It is not so important how you submit your lineage, but that you do submit it. Please cite your sources whenever possible.
If you find you are fortunate enough to connect with an established branch already in print, please let me know. The branches will be merged in a future volume, the earlier branch number will be maintained, and later number be eliminated. Perhaps we may eventually find a common ancestor and become one large family!
Joyce Featherston Hawkins
B R A N C H #1 – a continuation
Refer to Volume 1. p. 15. Generation III, Child 7
III Rev. Jeremiah Featherston – b. 1797 Charlotte Co., VA; m. Anne Green
*7. Sarah Jane Featherston – b. 1828 KY
IV Sarah Jane Featherston – b. 1828 IN (as shown by submitter). d. 11 Jun 1861; m.l) 11 Feb 1847 Marion Co., IN to Benjamin Kuser – b. Germany or PA, bur. supposed to sleep at the bottom of the Mississippi River.
Notes by submitter; Kusers probably lived in Holland, Bell Co.. TX for quite a while. Sarah had a brother named Charlie. Sources: Most of this information is found in a family “Leeger” begun by Mollie Greer Kuser, and continued by Pearl Kuser Williams. The births and deaths are recorded on page 13-14. Lydia’s place of death recorded on page 29. Sarah’s death is recorded on page 13 giving date ant the comment that she “died aged 33 yrs.” The Ledger is currently in the possession of Christine Scales; Census, 1900, Duke, Greer Co., OK Territory, Vol. 6. E.D. 81, Sheet 20, Line 88 (Kuser. Jeremiah S.); Census, 1880, Neodesha, Wilson Co., KS, Vol. 21. E.D. 184, Sheet 34, Line 20 (Kuser, Samuel); Death Certificate. Jeremiah Samuel Kuser.
1. Lydia M. Kuser – b. 5 Oct 1848, d. 15 Dec 1929 Holland. Bell Co.. TX; never married
2. Anna (Annie) Elizabeth Kuser – b. 9 Mar 1852. d. 19 Nov 1944 (stroke); m. Robert W. Bradley
1. ?Frank Bradley –
2. ?Susie Bradley -lived in Holland. TX
*3. Jeremiah Samuel “Sammy” Kuser – b. 21 May 1854
4. Susie Kuser – b. 20 Oct 1856 (5 a.m.). d. Oct/Dec 1936
V Jeremiah Samuel “Sammy” Kuser – b. 21 May 1854 (11 a.m.) near Indianapolis, IN. d. 26 Nov 1936 Quanah. Hardeman Co.. TX, bur. Quanah, Hardeman Co., TX; m. 3 Jul 1872 Morgan Co., IN to Mary “Mollie” Deborah Greer – b. 12 May 1853 Waverly, Morgan Co.. IN. d. 4 Apr 1934 Quanah. Hardeman Co., TX. bur. Quanah, Hardeman Co.. TX, d/o James M. Greer/Durzilla Badgley.
Notes by submitter: Baptist: Farmer: Lived in Noedesha, KS by 1881; both Allie & Grace born there: Lived in Eldorado, OK from late 1890s until each went to live with Pearl in Quanah a few months before death. Sources: 9/86 There is a family “Ledger” in the possession of Christine Williams Scales that was begun by Mollie Kuser and continued by Pearl Williams. All of Mollie’s children and their birthdays are listed on page 15 of the Ledger (written by Mollie Greer Kuser.) Parents and most of the deaths are on page 14 (written by Pearl Kuser Williams.) Marriage dates of children appear on page 16 (written by Mollie Kuser.) There is a picture of the cemetery stone in the cemetery at Quanah. TX showing birth and death dates of ,Sammy and Mollie Kuser. Death Certificates of Jeremiah Samuel Kuser, Mary Deborah (Greer) Kuser, Pearl (Kuser) Williams and Edward Barton Williams. 1880 Census. Neodesha, Wilson Co.. KS (Samuel Kuser). 1900 Census, Duke, Greer Co., OK Territory (Jeremiah S. Kuser). Marriage license – Jeremiah S. Kuser and Mary Greer.
BRANCH #1 (continued)
Issue of Jeremiah Samuel “Sammy” Kuser:
1. Floradelle Kuser – b. 20 Aug 1873. d. 11 Sep 1873
*2. Pearl Kuser – b. 1 Aug 1874 Indianapolis, Marion Co., IN
3. LeRoy Worth Kuser (M.D.) – b. 9 Aug 1876. d. 19 Sep 1941; m. 21 Aug 1904 to Rosaleah Crump
4. Aeoline “Allie” May Kuser – b. 27 Jul 1881, Neodesha. KS, d. 9 Jul 1969; m. 1 Nov 1900 to Odice Hutchinson
5. Charles “Charlie” Arthur Kuser – b. 22 Nov 1886. d. 5 Apr 1887
6. Viola Kuser – b. 23 Dec 1888, d. 24 Dec 1888
7. Grace Vernon Kuser – b. 4 Aug 1890 Neodesha, KS. d. 7 Jun 1957; m. 24 Jul 1910 to William Arch McGraw
8. Harold “Hal” Parker Kuser – b. 14 Apr 1898, d. 1 Sep 27 (sic) 1987 (heart attack); m. Anna Lene Shoemaker, d. 1 Jun 1989. Both bur. at Commerce Memorial (?) Cemetery, Commerce. TX
VI Pearl Kuser – b. 1 Aug 1874 Indianapolis. Marion Co., IN. d. 15 Jul 1971 Tulsa. Tulsa Co., OK. bur. Quanah, Hardeman Co., TX; m. 14 May 1893 Bell Co.. TX to Edward Barton Williams – b. 10 Oct 1856 AR, d. 24 Aug 1936 Dallas. Dallas Co., TX, bur. Quanah, Hardeman Co.. TX. s/o Thomas L. Williams/Charlotte T. or Catherine S. ?. Notes by submitter: As a child. Barton lived with his family in Johnson Co., TX. Family history says the Williams family was prominent in Tennessee. 1878-1888, he was in mercantile business in Bell County, TX. Moved to Hardeman Co., TX where he was a cattleman. Died of pneumonia after an operation for cancer of the stomach in Medical Arts Hospital, Dallas. TX. Sources: Family “Leeger” begun by Mollie Kuser and continued by Pearl Williams. Currently in the possession of Christine Scales. The children’s birthdays are listed on page 18. Marriages listed on page 19. Gussie G. Williams’ death on page 31. Birth and death dates of Barton and Pearl are on the family stone at the cemetery in Quanah, TX. birth certificate of Christine Williams Scales. Christine Williams Scales. Obituary notice. Death Certificates of Edward Barton Williams and Pearl K. Williams. Marriage License of E.B. Williams and Pearl Kuser. Personal knowledge of Melrose (Scales) Triable. 1860 Census, Pulaski Co.. AR (Thomas L. Williams).
1. Monroe Edward Williams – b. 19 Apr 1897 Quanah, Hardeman Co., TX. d. 4 Oct 1987 Cleveland, OH; m.l) Evelyn Simmons (div); m.2) Gussie Lanier – b. 7 Aug 1902, d. 22 Aug 1931; m.3) Doris King (div); m.4) Effie Isaacs – b. 19 Feb __, d. 6 Feb 1991
2. Ralph Leroy Williams – b. 10 Mar 1899 Quanah. Hardeman Co., TX (as of 1/06/91 living in Newton Square, PA); m. 31 Aug 1923 to Pearl Flora Keen – b. 10 Feb 1902, d. 12 Mar 1986
3. Wayne Kuser Williams – b. 20 May 1903, Quanah, Hardeman Co., TX (as of 1/06/91. living in Donna, TX); m. 23 Jun 1925 to Mildred McLarty – b. 16 Oct 1904, d. 3 Oct 1986
*4. Christine Williams – b. 31 May 1910 Quanah. Hardeman Co.. TX
BRANCH #1 – (continued)
VII Christine Williams – b. 31 May 1910 Quanah. Hardeman Co., TX (as of 1/06/91 living in Donna. TX); m. 8 Sep 1931 Dallas. Dallas Co., TX (marriage recorded in Bell Co., TX because Sam was working there at the time, and that is where he purchased the license) to Samuel “Sam” Melrose Scales – b. 25 Feb 1908 Dallas, Dallas Co., TX, d. 13 Apr 1986 Donna, Hidalgo Co.. TX. bur. Memorial Park, Tulsa. OK. s/o John Melrose Scales/Mattie Anderson.
Notes by submitter: Sam was given the name “Samuel Joseph Melrose Scales” at birth. He dropped the “Joseph” as too much name. The birth certificate was made up later and does not show “Joseph”. Church affiliation: Baptist. Occupation: Sam worked for the Southwestern Power and Light division of Civil Service in Tulsa for 25 years. Christine was a Civil Service employee for 30 years. Sources: Birth & Death Certificates of Samuel Melrose Scales; Marriage License – Samuel Melrose Scales and Christine Williams; Birth certificate of Christine Williams; Christine Williams Scales; Melrose Scales Trinble; Millie Gill Scales.
*1. Melrose Scales – b. 28 Jul 1932 Dallas, Dallas Co., TX
2. David Wayne Scales – b. 28 Nov 1943 Oklahoma City, OK Co., OK; m.l) to Bettie Carol Jenkins; m.2) Sherry __; m.3) Billie __; m.4) Mary Kathleen Frahzo
VIII Melrose Scales – b. 28 Jul 1932 Dallas, Dallas Co., TX; m. 20 Jun 1953 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Co.. OK to Robert Glyn Trimble – b. 24 Oct 1926 Bristow. Creek. OK, s/o James Everett Trimble/Murl Hays. Notes: Church Affiliation – Baptist: Education: Glyn – BA in Business Administration at University of OK 1951; Melrose – BS in Elementary Education at University of Houston 1955. Occupation – Glyn is an institutional food salesman for William E. Davis & Sons Co.. Oklahoma City. OK since 1958; Melrose is a teacher. She has taught 9 years, and is currently doing substitute teaching. Military Service; Glyn is a retired Lt. Colonel from the Army having served during WWII as an enlisted man, then receiving his commission at O.U. (1950) and serving 37 years as an officer in the Army Reserves. Sources: Birth Certificates of Robert Glyn Trimble and Melrose Scales; Marriage License of Robert Glyn Trimble and Melrose Scales.
submitted July 1991 by: Melrose Trimble
B R A N C H #3 – additional information
Refer to Volume 1 (Branch #4), ps. 25. 26; Volume 4, ps. 1. 19
I Charles Featherston – b. ca.,1635, perhaps England, d. bef. 25 Sep 1682 Henrico Co., VA; a. as her 2nd husband, Rebecca (Stratton) Patram – d/o Edward Stratton (Sr.) (1633-1688] and his 1st wife Elizabeth Thurston. Edward (Sr.) lived in Bermuda Hundred—now Chesterfield Co., VA. He m.2), Mrs. Martha Shippey. Sources: Henrico Co., VA Records. Deeds, and Wills. 1677-1692, p. 25; STRATTON NOTES. Vol. 1. p. 2. Jul 1985, by Bette (Butcher) Topp. W. 1304
BRANCH #3 – Charles Featherston (continued)
Cliffwood Court, Spokane. WA 99218-2917, data taken from CERTAIN STRATTON FAMILIES OF VA, by Herman Stratton Brown, Call +929.273 St826 Genealogical Library Salt Lake, UT, 1983.
1. Anne Featherstone – b. ca. 1673, d. 1745 Amelia Co., VA (Will); m. ca. 1692 to Abraham Burton – s/o Thomas Burton/Susanna Hatcher. Source: Elmeree (Tartar) Oakley
*2. Henry Charles Featherstone – b. ca. 1681 Henrico Co., VA
3. Sarah Featherstone –
4. Susanna Featherstone –
II Henry Charles (or Charles Henry) Featherstone – b. ca. 1681 Henrico Co., VA, d. bef. 1759; m. ca. 1714 Henrico Co.. VA to Elizabeth Walthall – d/o Richard Walthall (Sr) [cl660-1715] – s/o William Walthall. Immigrant from England who settled in Henrico Co. prior to 15 Jan 1656. One witness to Richard (Sr)’s will was his son-in-law Henry Charles Featherstone. Elizabeth d. 1759 Chesterfield Co.. VA. Her will dated there 26 Feb 1759 was proven in their Oct 1759 Court. Sources: Elmeree (Tartar) Oakley; Elizabeth (Walthall) Featherston’s will. Chesterfield Co.. VA. Will Bk. 1, 1749-1763. p. 30; Richard Walthall’s will dated 9 Jan 1715 Henrico Co., VA; WALTHALL FAMILY NOTES, 1941. by Malcolm E. Walthall, microfilm LDS-Salt Lake, UT; FEATHERSTONE AND WALTHALL OF HOLLY SPRINGS MS, by Marie Rut ledge, pp. F-4. F-5. copy sent Library of Congress 1977; ANCESTORS AND DESCENDANTS OF JUDGE L.H. FEATHERSTON, by G.P. Cuttino 1962, pp. 1. 2.
*1. Charles Featherstone – b. ca. 1716 Henrico Co., VA
2. Henry Featherstone – b. ca. 1718, d. unmarried
3. Mary Featherstone – b. ca. 1720. d. unmarried
4. Rebecca Featherstone – b. ca. 1722; m. Thomas Sadler
5. daughter Featherstone – b. ca. 1724; m. Thomas Jefferies
6. daughter Featherstone –
III Charles Featherstone – b. ca. 1716 Henrico Co., VA, d. ca. 1778 Chesterfield co.. VA; m. ca. 1740 his 1st cousin Phoebe Walthall (cl720-1762] d/o Henry Walthall (s/o Richard Walthall (Sr) and Phebe Ligon [d/o Thomas Ligon/ Elizabeth Worsham]. Charles was not named in his mother’s will, but signed a land indenture with his brother Henry (date?). Sources: Chesterfield Co.. VA Will Bk. 1. pp. 459, 460; Elmeree (Tartar) Oakley; WALTHALL FAMILY NOTES, 1941, by Malcolm E. Walthall; THE LIGON FAMILY AND CONNECTIONS, W.D. Ligon. Jr., Shipman, VA, 1957; Henrico Co.. VA Deed Bk., 1744-1748, pp. 824, 825; FEATHERSTONE AND WALTHALL OF HOLLY SPRINGS MS, by Marie Rutledge. pp. F-5, F-6, copy sent Library of Congress 1977.
*1. Henry Featherstone (Sr) – b. ca. 1738 Chesterfield Co.. VA
2. Edward Featherstone – b. ca. 1740; m. Sarah Ashbrooke
3. Charles H. Featherstone – b. 19 Feb 1743; m. Ann French
4. Elizabeth Featherstone – b. ca. 1748; m. Thomas Walthall
5. Phoebe Featherstone – b. 1754; m. Irby Hudson
BRANCH #3 (continued)
IV Henry Featherston (Sr) (dropped “e” from surname) – b. ca. 1738 Chesterfield Co., VA. d. prob. 1828 Smith Co.. TN, will written 15 Dec 1827 and proven 25 Jul 1828 Smith Co., TN; m. ca. 1768 to Elizabeth Marshall – d/o Alexander Marshall, Jr./Sarah Moseley [d/o William Moseley/Frances Mayo of Chesterfield Co., VA]. Henry (Sr) a “Patriot” during the Revolutionary War-1783 provided provisions for the Army in Chesterfield Co.; Methodist Minister, ordained and licensed to preach 12 Sep 1788 by the Methodist Episcopal Church, license dated and signed by Thomas Anderson of the Methodist Conference. Between Apr 1808 and Mar 1813 removed from Chesterfield Co., VA, to Smith Co., TN. It is not known when or where wife Elizabeth died. A certified copy (date?) of a record presented to the Smith Co. Court on 28 Feb 1825. says in Chesterfield Co., VA (date?). Henry (Sr) had emancipated (surname Abba) Kiff, Jack, Jane, York, David. John, Will and Hannah. Sources: Smith Co., TN Will Bk. B9, pp. 13. 14. 15; Chesterfield Co.. VA Will Bk. 3, p. 252; THE MOSELEY REGISTRAR, ARKANSAS HISTORIAN, by Carribel Eck Carter, microfilm Salt Lake, UT; Public Claim Papers of Chesterfield Co., VA. in VA Archives; DAR PATRIOT INDEX, 1966, NSDAR, Washington. D.C.. Vol. 1. p. 231; Chesterfield Co.. VA Ministers Bonds 1788; Gene Hyden, 7011 Yancey Drive. Falls Church, VA 22042; Smith Co., TN Court Minutes #18. 1824-1826, p. 239; FRANCIS MOODY (1769-1821). HIS ANCESTORS. DESCENDANTS. AND RELATED FAMILIES… of Chesterfield Co., VA..by Clara Lorene (Cammack) Park, Gateway Press, Inc., Baltimore, MD 1984. chapter 11. p. 267; FEATHERSTON FINDINGS, by Joyce Featherston Hawkins. Vol. 4. Mar 1991, p. 4; Names and birth dates of Issue: a note written by Marie Rutledge in her genealogy FEATHERSTONE AND WALTHALL OF HOLLY SPRINGS MS, copy sent Library of Congress 1977. pp. F-6. F-7, F-8 says: “Note by MR: names and dates copied by me from a copy of a copy of a Bible record that at one time was in the possession of Sam Featherstone, who was a cousin of my great-grandfather, John G. Featherstone, son of Edward Featherstone and his wife Mary (Hibbett) Featherstone. I remember my grandmother ‘loaning this Bible’ to the said Featherstone’ I do not remember any of the names in Bible.”
1. Sarah Featherston – b. 31 Mar 1770; m. 27 Oct 1791 Chesterfield Co.. VA to Thomas Hardie
2. Charles Featherston – b. 6 Nov 1771 Chesterfield Co.. VA, d. 25 Dec 1852 Heard. GA; m. 15 Jan 1794 Powhatan Co., VA to Lucy Pitts
*3. Henry Featherston, Jr. – b. 28 May 1774 Chesterfield Co., VA
4. William Featherston – b. Nov 1776 Chesterfield Co., VA. no further record found
5. Alexander Featherston – b. 14 Aug 1778 Chesterfield Co.. VA. d. infancy
6. Elizabeth Featherston – b. 27 Mar 1780 Chesterfield Co., VA; m. 13 Sep 1802 Chesterfield Co., VA to John Cogbill
7. child Featherston -,b. 2 Feb 1782 Chesterfield Co., VA. no further record found
8. Edward Featherston – b. 16 Dec 1783 Chesterfield Co., VA; m. Mary Y. “Polly” Hibbett
9. Mary Ann Featherston – b. 23 Mar 1786 Chesterfield Co.. VA; m. 24 Nov 1807 Chesterfield Co., VA to Christian Cogbill
BRANCH #3 – Issue of Henry Featherston, Sr. (continued)
10. Phoebe Featherston – b. 1 Mar 1790 Chesterfield Co.. VA; m. 1 Mar 1814 GaIIatin, TN to Marquis deLafayette Sharp
11. Daniel Marshall Featherston – b. 28 Mar 1793 Chesterfield Co., VA. d. by 13 Apr 1816 (ca. age 23 years of a wound received during War of 1812)
V Henry Featherston, Jr. – b. 28 May 1774 Chesterfield Co., VA, d. 9 Jan 1815 New Orleans. LA (from a wound received during one of the skirmishes before the Battle of New Orleans – only one of seven American men killed in that War). On Wednesday evening, 23 Jan 1799 Mecklenburg Co.. VA. Henry, Jr. m. his first cousin Nancy Marshall – d/o Francis Marshall, Jr./Phoebe Hatcher of Mecklenburg Co.. VA. Nancy was b. 5 Aug 1775 VA, d. 30 Oct 1853 Waldron. Scott Co., AR. bur. possibly Turman Cem. northeast of Waldron. In 1926, a grandson Richard Henry Featherston. aged 79 years wrote: “Grandma Featherston was buried on a ridge North east of Waldron. I can remember about her dying & remember when they buried her – but don’t remember the year, or time of year.” Henry. Jr.’s Honorable Discharge is dated four days after his death. His army papers list his highest rank as “Sergeant” and show he was enrolled in the 2nd Division of the TN Militia. His will was written 6 Nov 1814 and proven 4 Aug 1815 at Lincoln Co., TN. In it, he names his two sons and wife. mentions “daughters.” and names his wife and brother Edward his executors. He requested “that his estate be kept together to raise the children in a decent manner and to educate them…”. Nancy and children migrated to Crawford Co., AR by 1830. On 3 May 1851, Scott Co., AR. she filed a bounty land claim on the War of 1812 service of Henry, Jr., for 80 acres of bounty land which was approved She also received a pension for his service. On 3 Oct 1850. aged 76 years, she was living with her daughter Nancy Jane Fleming at Fort Smith, Crawford Co., AR. On 12 Nov 1850, she was living with son William Grandison Featherston in Waldron which location other US Censuses show as her usual abode. On 21 May 1854 Scott Co.. AR, court records show three heirs received their share of her estate: William Grandison and Edward Hardiway Feathrston. and Nancy Jane Fleming. Sources: MARRIAGE RECORDS MECKLENBURG CO.. VA. 1765-1810, by Katherine B. Elliott. microfilm Salt Lake UT; Lincoln Co., TN Will Bk. ?, pp. 116. 117, 118; General Services Administration, National Archives and Records Service, Washington. D.C.; Nancy (Marshall) Featherston’s Bounty Land/Pension/ Estate papers also in National Archives; US Census Records – 1830 Crawford Co., AR; 1840 & 1850 Scott Co., AR.
*1. William Grandison Featherston – b. 1807 VA
2. Edward Hardiway Featherston – b. 4 Nov 1813 Lincoln Co., TN, d. 23 Apr 1885 Mooreville, Falls Co.. TX; m.l) ca. 1834 Waldron, Scott Co., AR to Julia Ann Thompson – b. ca. 1826 KY d/o Micajah Thompson/ Sarah ___ of Waldron. Scott Co., AR; m.2) Scott Co.. AR to Anne Reed; m.3) Mrs. Sarah (Raines) Nichols
3. Phoebe Featherston – b. Lincoln Co., TN. d. by 21 Aug 1854; m. Andrew Buchanan. Neither she nor heirs are named in 21 Aug 1854 Scott Co., AR court document as receiving a share of her mother’s estate. On 12 Apr 1851 Scott Co.. AR. an affidavit (for?) was between her mother and Robert and Andrew Buchanan.
BRANCH #3 – Issue of Henry Featherston. Jr. (continued)
4. Nancy Jane Featherston – b. ca. 1815 Lincoln Co., TN; m. William Warren Fleming – b. ca. 1800 KY
5. daughter Featherston – not proven. If such child, d. by 21 Aug 1854 and left no heirs
VI William Grandison Featherston – b. 1807 VA (only location he knew), d. Oct 1873 Waldron, Scott Co., AR, bur. south part of Waldron near the Methodist Church; m.l) ca. 1827 to Isabella ___ – d. ca. 1835; m.2) ca. 1837 AR to Elizabeth Thompson – b. ca. 1817 KY, d. ca. 1862. aged 45 years at Arkadelphia, Clark Co., AR — family tradition; m.3) bet. 1862-1870 AR to Nancy ___ who. when widowed in 1873, married next ___ Casey. On 22 Jan 1840. Franklin Co., AR, he filed a petition, which was approved, requesting guardianship of his two minor children, George W. and Robert M. Featherston, and posted a $1,500 bond with H.B. Rose as his security. On 15 Sep 1851. a Franklin Co., AR deed shows he received a land grant for 80 acres at Clarksville. William Grandison was the pioneer settler of Waldron. their first postmaster (1840). tavern owner, farmer, and Scott Co., AR Treasurer in 1862. He was on the side of the Confederacy during the Civil War and had not signed the Amnesty Oath — swearing allegiance to the US — by 1870. During the War. he sent his family
to Arkadelphia. Clark Co., AR, for safety. The Union Army headquartered in his home at Waldron. Sources: Probate Records Franklin Co., AR, Bk. B.. p. 5; Franklin Co.. AR. 15 Sep 1851 Deed (Bk.?); Scott Co., AR Deed Bk. 4; HISTORY OF SCOTT CO.. AR by Henry Grady McCutchen. “printed in Arkansas-USA. ” copyright 1922. p. 28; HISTORY OF SCOTT CO., AR by Norman Goodner. Bar D Press, Siloam Springs, AR, 1941. pp. 19, 20. 35. 47; SCOTT CO. IN RETROSPECT by Charles E. Goodner of Waldron, Ar, pp. 10. 13, copyright 1976, Frank Boyd publisher; US Census Records, 1830 Crawford Co.. AR. 1840 through 1870 Scott Co., AR
Issue by 1st wife::
1. George Washington Featherston – b. 5 Nov 1829 Crawford Co., AR. d. 12 Oct 1903 Marlow (Indian Territory), OK; m. 17 Feb 1851 Washington Co., AR to Mary Ann Minerva Appleby – b. Feb 1832 AR, d. 30 May 1883 Socorro, Socorro Co., NM. d/o Hezekiah Appleby/Margaret Herron
2. Robert M. Featherston – b. ca. 1834 Crawford Co., AR; m. 10 Jun 1857 Waldron, Scott Co., AR to Susan Elizabeth Gaines – b. ca. 1839 AR, d. 13 Feb 1866 Scott Co.. AR, d/o James Foster Gaines/Parmelia Frances Halley
Issue by 2nd wife:
3. Francis M. Featherston – b. ca. 1838 Waldron, Scott Co.. AR; d. 15 Dec 1887 CA. bur. Catholic Cem. (Trump?) CA; m. 29 Dec 1867 near Waldron. Scott Co.. AR to Mattie E. Smyth
4. Nancy J. Featherston – b. ca. 1842 Waldron. Scott Co.. AR, d. 1899; m.l) Reuben C. Reed – s/o Geroge Walker Reed who migrated from McNairy Co., TN. to Scott Co.. AR; m.2) 1866 to Jacob Walter Crow
5. Phoebe H. Featherston – b. Dec 1843 Waldron, Scott Co.. AR; m. ca. 1866 to John A. Spencer – b. (Jan?) 1832 TN
*6. Harriett Thompson Featherston – b. 8 Nov 1845 Scott Co., AR
7. Richard Henry Featherston – b. 4 Oct 1847 Waldron. Scott Co.. AR. d. aft. 9 Apr 1926 prob. AR; m. Virginia C. “Jenny” Carder – d. 9 Apr 1926, bur. Sulphur, OK
Issue by 3rd wife; None
BRANCH #3 (continued)
VII Harriett Thompson Featherston – b. 8 Nov 1845 Waldron, Scott Co., AR, d. 2 Feb 1911 north of Magazine, Logan Co., AR – from gangrene caused by a wood splinter which infected her arm, bur. Ellington Cero. north of Magazine; m. 13 Nov 1867 Arkadelphia. dark Co., AR to Nathan Mitchell Ellington – b. 20 Jan 1840 Claiborne Co., TN, d. 3 Jun 1921 north of Magazine, AR, bur. Ellington Cem. north of Magazine, s/o Nathan Ellington (Judge)/Mary Moore of Scott and Logan Cos.. AR. Nathan Mitchell Ellington was a farmer, 6’2″ tall, during the Civil War fought first for Confederate Army in Arkansas and when his enrolment term was up enlisted in Union Army in Kentucky. Harriett attended college at Arkadelphia. AR, was 5′ tall, had her own buggy and horse, always dressed up to go from farm to Magazine. This family were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South of Magazine. Sources: Clark Co.. AR Marriage Cert.; Logan Co.. AR. Death Cert – Nathan Mitchell Ellington – his Union Army record and pension papers. National Archives Washington. D.C.; WAGON WHEELS. LOGAN CO. HIST. SOC.. Summer 1981. Vol. 1. No. 4. p. (?) – Spring 1982 Issue, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 47, 49, 59. 60 – Spring 1984 Issue. Vol. 4. No. 1. p. 2; 1976, 1880’s records from grandchildren.
*1. Mary Elizabeth “Lizzie” Ellington – b. 9 Aug 1868 north of Magazine. Logan Co., AR
2. Martha “Mattie” Ellington – b. 29 Jun 1870 north of Magazine, Logan Co., AR; d. 7 Jan 1934 Magazine. AR – heart attack while feeding chickens, bur. 9 Jan 1934 Ellington Cem. north of Magazine, AR; m.l) 2 Dec 1896 north of Magazine. AR to Robert Russell – b. 27 Jun 1855 near Ozark, AR, d. 30 Jun 1900 Kerrville, TX, bur. Kerrville. TX. s/o Marion Russell of Franklin Co.. AR. Martha m.2) William George who she divorced
3. Hugh Ellington – b. 20 Sep 1872 north of Magazine, Logan Co., AR. d. 2 Dec 1936 north of Magazine, AR, bur. Ellington cem. north of Magazine. AR, farmed on home place, a tall man with red hair. gave money regularly to the Magazine Methodist Episcopal Church in his mother’s name; never married
4. Leona Ellington – b. 29 Mar 1875 north of Magazine, Logan Co.. AR, d. 4 Jul 1925 north of Magazine, AR. bur. Ellington Cem. north of Magazine, AR; school teacher, kept house for her father and brother Hugh after her mother died, very artistic and poetic; never married
5. Augusta “Gussie” Ellington – b. 22 Oct 1877 north of Magazine, Logan Co.. AR, d. Jun 1955 Russellville, Pope Co., AR, bur. Russellville; m. 14 Feb 1900 north of Magazine, AR to Arthur Buril Priddy – b. 12 Dec 1874 Magazine, AR. d. 5 Jul 1950 Russellville, AR, bur. Russellville
6. Cleopatra “Cleo” Ellington – b. 7 Nov 1880 north of Magazine, Logan Co.. AR. d. 6 Aug 1970 Stillwater. OK; m. 3 Sep 1906 north of Magazine, AR to Marue Sullivant – b. 21 Sep 1876 Belleville. Yell Co.. AR. d. 20 Aug 1956 Stillwater, OK. s/o James Sullivant/Mabel ___
7. Lorene Ellington – b. 25 Sep 1883 north of Magazine, Logan Co., AR. d. 6 Aug 1973 Ola, AR, bur. Ola, AR; m. 11 May 1911 Magazine, AR to Luther Evans – b. 3 Aug 1881 Ola, AR, d. Oct 1933 Plainview. Yell Co., AR, bur. Ola, AR
BRANCH #3 –
Issue of Harriett Thompson Featherston (continued)
8. Orin Ellington – b. 25 Sep 1883 north of Magazine. Logan Co., AR, d. 24 Mar 1957 Memphis. TN. bur. Ellington Cem. north of Magazine, AR; Rock Island Railroad Freight Dispatcher and Biller; res. Little Rock, AR and Memphis, TN; supposedly had genealogy records which have not been located; 5 Jun 1939 wrote letter with some family detail to niece May Sullivant; never married
9. Flora Gladys Ellington – b. 15 Sep 1891 north of Magazine, Logan Co., AR, d. 30 Jul 1909 – 6 weeks before her 18th birthday of typhoid fever – north of Magazine, AR, bur. Ellington Cem. north of Magazine, AR; never married
VIII Mary Elizabeth “Lizzie” Ellington – b. 9 Aug 1868 north of Magazine, Logan Co., AR. d. 9 Aug 1942 (her birthday). Magazine. AR, bur. Ellington Cem. north of Magazine, AR; m. 14 Jan 1896 Magazine. AR, as his 2nd wife, German Burnett (G.B.) Kyle – b. 25 Oct 1858 TN or AR (parents enroute to AR), d. 8 Feb 1923 Magazine, AR, bur. Ellington Cem. north of Magazine, AR – s/o George Kyle/Altimore Marion Staggs from Wayne Co., TN to Pope/Logan Cos., AR. G.B. Kyle m.l) 27 Oct 1881 Logan Co.. AR to Lora A. “Allie” Ellington (his 2nd wife’s aunt) – b. 8 Aug 1865 Scott Co., AR, d. 20 May 1891 Logan Co., AR. bur. Ellington Cem. north of Magazine, AR – d/o Nathan Ellington (Judge) and his 2nd wife, Elvira (Garner) Garner. G.B. Kyle and Lora had three children: Eustace Percy Kyle. DuDonna Kyle. and Buenavesta Kyle. G.B.’s Magazine activities were many: General Merchandise Store Owner, President and Half Owner of Magazine Bank, Member School Board and City Council. Republican Precinct Committeeman; he and wife were members of the Magazine Methodist Episcopal Church. Lizzie had a Millinery Store in Magazine prior to her mar- riage, was an expert seamstress and quilter. Sources: death certs; Kyle Bible page — Marian (Kyle) Thompson. Tampa. FL; GERMAN BURNETT (G.B.) KYLE OF LOGAN CO.. AR, AND HIS WAYNE CO. TN ANCESTORS: DUCKWORTH. KYLE, NESBITT. STAGGS, WILSON, by Edith Madeline (Replogle) Raymond, University Printing. Pullman. WA. 1990; 1976-1985 records from her daughters.
*1. Edith Kyle – b. 5 Mar 1898 Magazine. Logan Co., AR
2. Opal Kyle – b. 1 Apr 1901 Magazine. Logan Co.. AR, living 1991 Wichita Falls, TX; m. 4 Jun 1927 Little Rock. Pulaski Co.. AR to Barton Wycliffe Dorbandt – b. 30 Oct 1902 Burnet, TX, d. 29 Sep 1972 Wichita Falls. TX, bur. Crestview Memorial Park Cem., Wichita Falls, TX, s/o Christian Dorbandt/Anna Perkins
3. Marian Harriet Kyle – b. 15 Nov 1903 Magazine. Logan Co., AR. living 1991 Tampa. Hillsboro Co.. FL; m. 2 Feb 1937 Magazine. AR to Denman Thompson – b. Adamsville, AL, bur. Adamsville. AL
4. son Kyle – b. 26 Jan 1909 Magazine. Logan Co., AR, d. 8 Feb 1909 Magazine. AR, bur. Ellington Cem.. north of Magazine. AR
IX Edith Kyle – b. 5 Mar 1898’Magazine. Logan Co., AR. d. 16 Dec 1978 Bozeman, Gallatin Co., MT, bur. Arlington National Cem. Arlington. VA; attended AR Technical College; m. 4 Jun 1921 Minneapolis, Hennepin Co., MN to Albert “Bert” Barton Replogle – b. 3 Jul 1893 Flora, day Co., IL. d. 22 Jul 1950 Fort Harrison, MT, bur. Arlington National cem.. Arlington, VA; Lawyer, Stock-
BRANCH #3 – Edith Kyle (continued)
man. Farmer, 1921 represented Montana at internment of “Unknown Soldier” at Arlington, VA, resided Lewistown, Fergus Co.. MT. s/o Grant Hill Adams Replogle/Mary Catherine Crisler of Batesville. Putlaski Co., AR. Sources: birth, death, marriage certs; 1975 records from Edith (Kyle) Replogle (deceased 1978); Arlington National cem. records; 1976-1991 records from her children.
*1. Edith Madeline (Madelon) Replogle – b. 17 Jan 1922 Lewistown, Fergus Co., MT
2. Opal Louise Replogle – b. 7 Sep 1923 Lewistown, Fergus Co.. MT, living 1991 Helena, MT; Attorney. Rancher, Republican – 1948 Co-Chairman National Republican Party; m.l) 16 Apr 1954 Raton, NM to Wellington Duncan Rankin. MT: Attorney General-Associate Justice of Supreme court. Rancher, Stockman, Republican – s/o John Rankin/ Olive Pickering, bro/o Jeannette Rankin first woman in US Congress; m.2) 22 Jul 1967 Helena, MT to Jack Edmond Gait – Banker, Rancher, Stockman. Republican; s/o Errol Fay Gait/Florence Johnson of Great Falls, MT; Louise — no issue
3. Bert Kyle Replogle – b. 17 Apr 1925 Lewistown. Fergus Co.. MT, living 1991 Carson City, NV; Engineering Geologist; US Navy WWII; m. 9 May 1959 Ritzville. WA to Celia Ann Streeter – b. 24 Nov 1924 Ritzville, WA. d/o Ralph 0. Streeter/Catherine Miller of Ritzville. WA
4. Joyce Marie Replogle – b. 6 Apr 1930 Lewistown, Fergus Co., MT. living 1991 Lake Stevens. WA; Horsewoman; Presbyterian; m. 17 Sep 1949 Lewistown, MT to Jay Ward Johnson – b. 16 May 1926 Lewistown. MT, s/o Ernest Walter Johnson/Mary Billings; retired Traffic- Distribution Manager, Scott Paper Co; Presbyterian; Owner Stable J; US Navy WWII and Korean War
5. Joan Marian Replogle – b. 7 Sep 1934 Lewistown, Fergus Co., MT, living 1991 Corvallis, MT; Horsewoman, MT State College graduate; m. 2 Jun 1966 Reno, NV to Harold Robert Campbell. Jr. – b. 25 Mar 1932 Torrance. CA; retired US Marine Sergeant, s/o Harold Robert Campbell (Sr)/Afton Bernice Petersen; no issue
6. Ramona Elizabeth Replogle – b. 15 May 1938 Lewistown, Fergus Co.. MT; living 1991 DeLand, FL; Vice President – Manager Interex Corp., Grower/Shipper cut ferns and flowers. Learning Disabiltiy Teacher, BS Degree Universtiy of CO; m. 23 Jan 1960 Boulder, CO to Ola Bang – b. 15 May 1936 Bagn i Valdres, Norway, s/o Syver Bagn Odegard/ Anne Molman of Norway; Owner/President Interex Corp., BS Degree University of CO. MBA University Central FL, Professional Engineer; US Army service
X. Edith Madeline (Madelon) Replogle – b. 17 Jan 1922 Lewistown, Fergus Co.. MT; 1978 WSU retiree. Executive Secretary to Vice President Academic, co-compiler THE REPLOGLE- EPROGLE GENEALOGY. 1984; compiler A CRISLER GENEALOGY, DESCENDANTS OF AARON CRISLER AND SUSANNA BAKER OF PREBLE CO. OH; compiler GERMAN BURNETT (G.B.) KYLE OF LOGAN CO. AR, AND HIS WAYNE CO. TN ANCESTORS: DUCKWORTH, KYLE, NESBITT, STAGGS, WILSON; m. 27 Oct 1943 Lewistown. MT
BRANCH #3 – Edith Madeline Replogle (continued)
to Bruce Bailey Raymond (both WA State University graduates) – b. 31 Mar 1917 Grundy Center. Grundy Co, IA. s/o Percy John Raymond/Pearl Jackson Bailey; 1977 retired Receiving Supervisor Students’ Book Corporation WSU. Sources: birth/marriage certs; 1990 records from Edith Madeline (Replogle) Raymond
1. Matthew William Raymond – b. 4 May 1955 Seattle. WA; adopted age 9 years. Eagle Scout. Evergreen State College graduate
submitted Jun 1991 by: Madeline Replogle Raymond
BRANCH #5 – a continuation from another descendant
Refer to Volume 2, pages 18 & 19. Generation VII
VII Andrew Jackson Featherston – b. 22 Nov 1857 KY, d. 18 Jun 1912 Carlisle Co., KY; m. 11 Jan 1877 Belmont. Mississippi Co., MO to Henrietta “Hennie” Lamkin – b. 13 Dec 1854 Hickman Co., KY, d. 1 Jul 1934 Carlisle Co.. KY, d/o John E. Lamkin/Mary Jane Zook.
*1. Fred Ernest Featherstone – b. 28 Apr 1881 Carlisle Co., KY – as shown in FEATHERSTON FINDINGS, Volume 2. p. 19
VIII Fred Ernest Featherstone, Sr. – b. 28 Apr 1881 Arlington, Ballard Co., KY. d. 8 Jul 1946, Miami. Dade Co., FL, bur. 13 Jul 1946 Miami Memorial Park, Dade Co., FL (note by submitter: I chose to use the county of birth that existed at the time of the birth. The area. including Arlington, KY. was formed into Carlisle County in 1886. and father was born in 1881. Also in that printing fathers death month is in error, it is 8 Jul 1946, not 8 Sep 1946 as shown in volume 2, p. 19). Fred Ernest Featherstone, Sr. m. 6 Sep 1903 Cairo. Alexander Co.. IL to Jessie Loreen Cox – b. 2 Sep 1886 Carterville. Williamson Co., IL, d. 29 Feb 1968 Miami, Dade Co., FL, bur. 2 Mar 1968 Miami Memorial Park, Dade Co.. FL, d/o Jefferson “Jeff” Cox/Delia “Dell” Adams
1. Leiand Blane Featherstone (Judge) – b. 24 Jul 1905 Carterville, Williamson Co.. IL. d. 31 Oct 1979 Miami, Dade Co., FL, bur. 3 Nov 1979 Miami Memorial Park. Dade Co., FL; m. 19 Jun 1938 Miami, Dade Co., FL to Viola Mae Mainor – b. 20 Jan 1914 Greenville, Madison Co.. FL, d. 19 Feb 1977 Miami, Dade Co., FL, bur. 21 Feb 1977 Miami Memorial Park, Dade Co.. FL, d/o John Henry Mainor/Della Viola Hammond. Leiand Blane.Featherstone was also married to Frances Roselle
2. Elbert Neville Featherstone – b. 17 Dec 1907 Carterville, Williamson Co., IL. d. 6 May 1961 Miami. Dade Co., FL. bur. 9 May 1961 Miami Memorial Park, Dade Co., FL; m. 1934 (div) to Eloise Gardner – d. abt. 1979 FL. Elbert Neville also married Danny Pearl Jack
BRANCH #5 – Issue of Fred Ernest Featherstone. Sr. (continued)
3. Milford Andrew Featherstone – b. 2 Feb 1913 Creal Springs, Williamson Co., IL; m. May 1934 (div) Columbus, Franklin Co., OH to Beatrice “Betty B” B. Welsh – b. 25 Jul 1913 Granville, Licking Co., OH, chr. 14 Mar 1915 Middleport, OH. d. 23 Apr 1964 Boston, Suffolk Co.. MA. bur. 26 Apr 1964 Brighton, Suffolk Co.. MA. d/o William Henry Welch/Amanda Fern “Maiddee” Smith. Milford Andrew also married Irene Boulger and Cornelia Merkel
4. Mayre Loreen Featherstone – b. 11 Jun 1915 St. Louis, St. Louis Co., MO; m. 5 Jun 1938 Miami, Dade Co.. FL to Edward Floyd Tharp – b. 4 Jul 1915 Wilmington, Brunswick Co., NC, d. 13 Mar 1976 Miami (Dr’s Hosp), Dade Co., FL. bur. 17 Mar 1976 Miami Memorial Park, Dade Co.. FL. s/o Edward Barnes Tharp/Ida Virginia Congleton
*5. Fred Ernest Featherstone. Jr. (Lt. Colonel) – b. 24 Apr 1919 Arlington, Carlisle Co.. KY
6. Harold Gordon Featherstone (Judge) – b. 28 Feb 1923 Miami, Dade Co.. FL; m. 23 May 1946 (div) Paris, France to Jacqueline Louise Happillon – b. 20 Nov 1927 Reims, France, d/o George Happillon/ Blanche ___. Harold Gordon also married Ruth Long.
7. William Roger Featherstone (Dr.) – b. 30 Jun 1927 (triplet) Miami, Dade Co.. FL; m. 23 May 1949 Meridian. MS to Janice Juanita Cooper – b. 5 Dec 1929 Quitman. Clarke Co., MS
8. Jennings Robert Featherstone – b. 30 Jun 1927 (triplet) Miami, Dade Co., FL; m. 24 Sep 1949 Memphis, Shelby Co., TN to Jeanne Eleanor Rooker – b. 7 Jul 1926 Cozad. NM
9. Bryan Richard Featherstone (Dr.) – b. 30 Jun 1927 (triplet) Miami, Dade Co., FL; m. 28 Dec 1947 Miami, Dade Co., FL to Aileen Lauriece Leamon – b. 8 Feb 1927 Miami. Dade Co., FL. d/o Paul Leamon/Etta F. Smith
IX Fred Ernest Featherstone, Jr. (Lt. Colonel) – b. 24 Apr 1919 Arlington. Carlisle Co., KY; m.l) Dorothea Joss; m.2) 21 Apr 1946 New York. Manhattan, NY to Carolyn Emma Iseler (R.N.) – b. 9 Jul 1914 Port Hope, Huron Co.. MI
submitted Jul 1991 by: Lt. Col. (Ret.)
Fred E. Featherstone, Jr.
GREEN FEATHERSTON ARNOLD
07-01. Want ancestors of Anna (Green) Featherston, born ca. 1797, Charlotte Co.. VA; she married Jeremiah Featherston 1-18-1814. Charlotte Co., VA; she died 3-15-1897 in Indianapolis, IN. Her father was Benjamen Green and her mother may have been Cary Arnold. Note: She was 100 when she died.
07-02. Would like contact with descendants of Andrew Jackson Featherston, b. May 1853, Indiana, married 8-11-1881. to Mary Jane Starkey. Left Broad Ripple, Indiana about 1911. Children: Lula C., Irene M., Vester. Esther, Malissa E.. Wallace E., Mamie I. and Wilford C.
above queries submitted by: Franklin Merriman, Jr.
07-03. Note by JFH: A letter of inquiry received by your editor, asks for information regarding his great great grandfather Robert Washington Hawkins, b. 1803 NC. d. 1864 GA; married Ann Brown Featherstone, b. 1805, d. 1853. Ann Brown Hawkins, bur. Enon Cemetery. Woodstock, GA.
submitted by: Donald E. Hawkins
JFH: Unfortunately, I’m unable to identify Robert Washington Hawkins. Was Ann Brown Featherstone a daughter of Merriman and Amelia Mills Featherston of Buncombe and Henderson Cos., NC? Any help would be greatly appreciated.